Your Thoughts On A Starch Diet. Dr McDougall

Options
Has anyone looked into his TED Talk on this diet. Pretty interesting. He witnessed people who changed from a high starch diet to a western based diet become obese and sickly.

This means less meat and dairy, but lots of rice, beans and potatoes. Some fruits and vegetables.

Interesting.

Replies

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I've been eating a western based diet for ~60 years and never been obese or sickly. That's just me though...
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Has anyone looked into his TED Talk on this diet. Pretty interesting. He witnessed people who changed from a high starch diet to a western based diet become obese and sickly.

This means less meat and dairy, but lots of rice, beans and potatoes. Some fruits and vegetables.

Interesting.

Seems logical to me. You take even an intuitive eater out of their routine and give them different food it may end in many of them eating at a surplus and gaining weight.

Whole TED talk for stating the obvious?

ETA: Sickly for the same reason. If a person was intuitively balancing their nutrition with one style of eating it does not mean they will do it with something different.
  • FireyChimera
    FireyChimera Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have 4 is his books in my bookshelf. (his wife also wrote them with him.) I have also watched many of his lectures and tried several recipes from the books/ his website. There have been many success stories with this way of eating as you already know. From personal experience, I prefer to eat lots of plants (70%) and then fill the other 30% with eggs and dairy. (I am vegetarian for 9 years now). Losing weight is simply calories in vs calories out, but certain ways of eating make us feel better compared to others.

Dr. McDougall is also very popular in the vegan/ whole food plant based community, but not well known in the "regular" world lol
  • FireyChimera
    FireyChimera Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Dr. McDougall is not very highly regarded by anyone outside of the vegan community due to the accuracy and veracity of his science and claims.

I'm a lifelong Vegan and I would definitely not point you to McDougall for any scientifically sound advice.

He takes a lot of his info off of history and other countries. One big point he makes is how in Asian countries they eat lots of rice/ carbs and stay trim. (That the people who eat the most carbs and the least animal products are the most trim.) He also refers to the "China Study" and "Engine 2 Diet." The way he tends to explain things is a very friendly common sense approach. He doesn't give lots of study stats, but in stead talks with a common sense tone.

What him and his wife say in the books and lectures seems pretty rational, but at the end of the day it's all about calories in vs calories out. As a vegetarian for many years, I can say that I feel great with this way of eating :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options

Interesting.

I eat quite a bit of meat and dairy...also quite a bit of beans, rice, potatoes, lentils, fruit, and veg, etc. I'm neither obese nor sickly.
  • FocusOnNutritionHolly
    Options
    Love his books and experience he shares. I went Vegan for a month but settled with vegetarian for now. Dairy is rough. But when I want to shred the body fat I know I see results when I cut the dairy.