Savory Oatmeal?!

Options
gallicinvasion
gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
edited August 2019 in Food and Nutrition
I just discovered that there is such a thing as savory oatmeal! Can't wait to try a recipe or two this weekend. (Haven't actually had any yet, because my weekday mornings are super packed and I don't really have time to cook oatmeal or sit and eat it).

I'm thinking to start with a bacon/manchego or carmelized onion/cotija recipe to start. Would you guys share 1. your favorite savory oatmeal recipe 2. how long it takes to cook 3.whether you eat it on the go or sit down to enjoy it?

Replies

• BuddhaBunnyFTW
    BuddhaBunnyFTW Posts: 157 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    My breakfast this morning was oatmeal mixed with a tomato, hummus, red lentils, turmeric, ground flax seeds, and pumpkin seeds. 450 calories of wonderful savory oatmeal. :)

I use instant steel cut oats because I need something quick and easy.
  • gallicinvasion
    Options
    My breakfast this morning was oatmeal mixed with a tomato, hummus, red lentils, turmeric, ground flax seeds, and pumpkin seeds. 450 calories of wonderful savory oatmeal. :)

I use instant steel cut oats because I need something quick and easy.

@BuddhaBunnyFTW this sounds AMAZING
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Savory oatmeal is the best and don't let anyone tell you differently.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I've seen a few recipes for it and not tried them, I'm interested to see the options.

Also keep thinking I should try baked oats, as that would just slice up and be ready to go.
  • vaman
    vaman Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I eat this almost every morning. The steel cut oats are prepared on the weekend and after cooling they are divided into the daily portion size and refrigerated. To prepare the daily serving the oats are heated in the microwave, at the same time I fry one egg. The hot oats are then covered with the cheese, green onion,crumbled bacon and the fried egg. I then add paprika and sriracha sauce.

I know it sounds quite strange, but it's delicious and slightly less than 400 calories.

Generic - Steel Cut Oats, 0.25 cup dry
    Danish Havarti Cheese, 1 ounce
    Herbs - Green Onion, Raw, 1 stalk
    Generic - Egg, 1 large egg
    Real crumbled bacon, 2 tablespoon
  • gallicinvasion
    Options
    vaman wrote: »
    I eat this almost every morning. The steel cut oats are prepared on the weekend and after cooling they are divided into the daily portion size and refrigerated. To prepare the daily serving the oats are heated in the microwave, at the same time I fry one egg. The hot oats are then covered with the cheese, green onion,crumbled bacon and the fried egg. I then add paprika and sriracha sauce.

I know it sounds quite strange, but it's delicious and slightly less than 400 calories.

Generic - Steel Cut Oats, 0.25 cup dry
    Danish Havarti Cheese, 1 ounce
    Herbs - Green Onion, Raw, 1 stalk
    Generic - Egg, 1 large egg
    Real crumbled bacon, 2 tablespoon

This sounds so good! Especially the spices and sriracha. Good to know that steel-cut prepared oats can be reheated throughout the week.
  • wenrob
    wenrob Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Do you have a rice pot? I make Steel Cut Oats in four serving batches in mine on the brown rice setting. Takes about an hour and then I just divide and reheat. You could even set it up on a timer and let them cook overnight.

I have never tried savory oatmeal but these sound good.
  • gallicinvasion
    Options
    wenrob wrote: »
    Do you have a rice pot? I make Steel Cut Oats in four serving batches in mine on the brown rice setting. Takes about an hour and then I just divide and reheat. You could even set it up on a timer and let them cook overnight.

That’s awesome! I do have a slow Cooker and an instant pot.

• wenrob
    wenrob Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    wenrob wrote: »

That’s awesome! I do have a slow Cooker and an instant pot.
    When I tried it in the Instant Pot I ended up with a HUGE mess. Not sure what I did wrong. I can’t seem to make rice in it either so my rice pot for both. I’m positive there are recipes for slow cookers and IPs out there. Making batches is a good way to go though since you have it waiting for you.

• lapesadilla
    lapesadilla Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah! One of my favorite cafe bars had a brunch savory oatmeal with chicken, roasted mushrooms, sauteed greens, a sunny side up egg and fresh herbs. Such a good idea! I used to make overnight oats all the time but felt like it was just too much sugar and carbs, but I never really thought to try savory versions at home. Maybe this weekend...
  • vaman
    edited August 2019
    Options
    While I'm sure a slow cooker or IP can be used to prepare the oats, we find this method to be the easiest.
    On the stove-top, in a large saucepan, bring 6 cups of water to a full boil, add 2 cups of steel cut oats and then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook covered for 18 minutes. After the oats are cooked, pour them into a heat proof bowl and allow them to cool to room temperature. Store in the refrigerator overnight, covered.
    In the morning the now solidified oats can be divided into 8 portions, like slices of a pie, but leave the slices in the bowl. When ready to serve, remove one "slice"and reheat in the microwave and add the other ingredients as listed above. Enjoy.
  • gallicinvasion
    Options
    vaman wrote: »
    While I'm sure a slow cooker or IP can be used to prepare the oats, we find this method to be the easiest.
    On the stove-top, in a large saucepan, bring 6 cups of water to a full boil, add 2 cups of steel cut oats and then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook covered for 18 minutes. After the oats are cooked, pour them into a heat proof bowl and allow them to cool to room temperature. Store in the refrigerator overnight, covered.
    In the morning the now solidified oats can be divided into 8 portions, like slices of a pie, but leave the slices in the bowl. When ready to serve, remove one "slice"and reheat in the microwave and add the other ingredients as listed above. Enjoy.

Dude this sounds perfect, thank you!
  • gallicinvasion
    Options
    Oh yeah! One of my favorite cafe bars had a brunch savory oatmeal with chicken, roasted mushrooms, sauteed greens, a sunny side up egg and fresh herbs. Such a good idea! I used to make overnight oats all the time but felt like it was just too much sugar and carbs, but I never really thought to try savory versions at home. Maybe this weekend...

This sounds lovely!
  • LenGray
    LenGray Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    My go-to savory oats recipe is:
    20 grams frozen spinach
    60 grams chopped broccoli
    2 eggs
    1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
    15 grams shredded cheese
    chili powder
    salt and pepper

Pretty basic, but also fast, delicious, and filling :yum: I usually steam the broccoli and throw the spinach in with the eggs, spices, and cheese.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,605 Member
    Options
    I've only eaten this in restaurant where the texture was actually similar to a risotto. In the restaurant this had cod, garnishes of deep fried cod skin and a drizzle of basil oil. I should try to make a savoury oatmeal too.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I use instant pot to make my oats. 1/3 cup of oats, 1/2 cup of water, pinch of salt. I usually make two servings at a time, but you can adjust as needed. 10 minutes on high pressure, and i leave it unopened until morning, then devide, reheat the one that i will eat. I add fruit to it and Greek yogurt, and spice mix that i like, lately it's sumac, mix of different peppers, sesame seeds, fennel. Plus extra black pepper, lol.
    ETA i use old fashioned oats
  • vaman
    Options
    Just a point... steel cuts oats and old fashioned oats are two distinctly different products. They are not interchangeable in their preparation. Old fashioned oats have been processed, they are steamed and then rolled into a flake shape. While steel cut oats have had no processing other than the oat berry being cut to a smaller size. They are completely uncooked and unprocessed.

Both are fine products, just different.
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    My people. I love savory oats. I ate oats with eggs greek yogurt and cheese often. I have also done oats with avocado and salsa and cheese. I also have two recipes for oatmeal muffins one with avocado and salsa and the other with pesto and sundried tomatoes. I also tried some zoats, which is zuchinni egg whites and oats. those were ok.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I eat savory oatmeal (actually a multigrain blend that is about half oatmeal) about 3x a week.

My standard is to saute 1/2 an onion with 100 grams each bell pepper, mushrooms, eggplant for about 7 minutes with some garlic and curry powder in a non-stick pan--sometimes adding a bit of water or veggie stock so it doesn't burn.

I know it's 7 minutes because I throw the veggies in the pan then cook the oat/grain mix in the microwave for 2 minutes; then microwave my press pot of coffee for 4 minutes while the grain rests and absorbs the water, then stir in 5 grams of nutritional yeast to the oat/grain and micro for 1 minute more while the press pot rests.

When the grain comes out of the micro, I toss in the veggies, and press down on the press pot, and voila! breakfast is served!
  • gallicinvasion
    Options
    I eat savory oatmeal (actually a multigrain blend that is about half oatmeal) about 3x a week.

My standard is to saute 1/2 an onion with 100 grams each bell pepper, mushrooms, eggplant for about 7 minutes with some garlic and curry powder in a non-stick pan--sometimes adding a bit of water or veggie stock so it doesn't burn.

I know it's 7 minutes because I throw the veggies in the pan then cook the oat/grain mix in the microwave for 2 minutes; then microwave my press pot of coffee for 4 minutes while the grain rests and absorbs the water, then stir in 5 grams of nutritional yeast to the oat/grain and micro for 1 minute more while the press pot rests.

When the grain comes out of the micro, I toss in the veggies, and press down on the press pot, and voila! breakfast is served!

Sounds like you got it down to a delicious science.