Anyone doing the Ketotarian diet?

Options
Hello, not sure if this is the correct thread. I just recently started the Ketotarian diet. Wondered if there was anyone else doing the same? 🤔
Caggie x

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    That's a new one for me. You don't mean the keto diet?

ETA:I just googled and it's the same thing. Stupid me. 😳

There are many keto members and threads here. You might want to do a search or I'm sure others doing keto will find you

Did you research keto fully before you started it? I know it has restrictions. That's why I didn't choose it. Good luck!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    That's a new one for me. You don't mean the keto diet?

ETA:I just googled and it's the same thing. Stupid me. 😳

There are many keto members and threads here. You might want to do a search or I'm sure others doing keto will find you

Did you research keto fully before you started it? I know it has restrictions. That's why I didn't choose it. Good luck!

Its a plant based version of ketogenic. I have never heard of that term.

Op, i agree, check out the keto or low carb group. Its not a very common version since plant based foods all have carbs.
  • LyndaBSS
    Options
    So, there is a difference. Very confusing. I've never heard of plant based keto. This will be the one new thing I learn today. 😕
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed the keto menu even though I didn't stick with it, but plant based keto just sounds absolutely painful. Too restrictive for me.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Yes, there are people who eat vegetarian keto on here, but you'll find people with more similar diets in the groups. The Keto group and The Low Carber Daily Forum group are great with active discussions, even recent discussions on veggies, fruits, and what I call "rainbow plates."

I was eating a mostly vegetarian diet for some time, recently started keto. They're very similar to me. I just started cooking my veggies in olive oil or butter instead of steaming them. I still eat a bit of raw also. I also added in a piece of meat with my meal instead of tempeh or fake meats (Sweet Earth Grounds, Morning Star, Quorn, etc).

Good luck.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Yes, there are people who eat vegetarian keto on here, but you'll find people with more similar diets in the groups. The Keto group and The Low Carber Daily Forum group are great with active discussions, even recent discussions on veggies, fruits, and what I call "rainbow plates."

I was eating a mostly vegetarian diet for some time, recently started keto. They're very similar to me. I just started cooking my veggies in olive oil or butter instead of steaming them. I still eat a bit of raw also. I also added in a piece of meat with my meal instead of tempeh or fake meats (Sweet Earth Grounds, Morning Star, Quorn, etc).

Good luck.

@Emmapatterson1729 the vegetarians I know eat around 50% carbs. Going from that to the 5% carbs recommended by keto would drastically slash the healthy staples in a vegetarian's diet so the concept of veggie keto always baffles me.

What does your typical day consist of and what are your macros?

I was wondering this too, although vegetarian keto would be way easier than vegan keto which is my experience.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

Good luck.

@Emmapatterson1729 the vegetarians I know eat around 50% carbs. Going from that to the 5% carbs recommended by keto would drastically slash the healthy staples in a vegetarian's diet so the concept of veggie keto always baffles me.

I was wondering this too, although vegetarian keto would be way easier than vegan keto which is my experience.

Right, being able to utilize dairy makes the idea of veggie keto at least conceivable intellectually.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I read this as the "Kevorkian Diet"
  • Emmapatterson1729
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Keto is high fat, moderate protein, and low (net) carb.

Could be very doable as vegetarian... Seems vegan would be not impossible, but extremely difficult!!

Can still get enough daily calories eating veggies and fats. And meat substitutes like tempeh (high fat, high protein, high fiber, low net carbs) and dairy proteins like eggs. Other sources of protein like nuts and peanut butters.

In keto, most do not count fibers as carbs. So, I still eat fruits and veggies daily and come in around 30-50 grams total carbs, but under 20-25 net grams. (I'm in US, other countries and mfp calculate this differently).

I do eat meat now. But mainly due to cost. Beef and chicken are much cheaper where I live than tempeh...would have to drive three hours to special order Sweet Earth Grounds.

I only started "keto" due to a severe sensitivity to breads and certain starches that causes bloat, pain, and discomfort.

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options

Good luck.

Right, being able to utilize dairy makes the idea of veggie keto at least conceivable intellectually.

It kind of seems backwards to me but I don't try to tell others how to live their lives. When I do meatless days outside of just pushing myself to eat and learn different ways of eating it is also to replace some of my protein with pb proteins. The problem with adding keto is that even with the fiber offset I could not eat enough pb protein to satisfy my requirement before running out of carbs for the day. With the brand tofu I buy It would take over 1300 calories to hit my minimum protein which would only work if I was doing the 50 keto because that would be over 40 carbs by itself. As I learned with slimfast I am not happy drinking too many of my calories so protein powders can help but I am not drinking more than 2 shakes a day.

There is obviously a way to make this work and balance nutrition but the selection of food is so narrow for protein I wouldn't care for it.

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Derpes wrote: »

Weight loss guaranteed! ;)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    This might be a useful reference for vegetarians who eat eggs and are interested in keto (vegan links in there as well): https://www.ruled.me/comprehensive-guide-vegetarian-ketogenic-diet/

It has sample meals. I was intrigued by the Keto Zucchini Bread with Walnuts recipe and was considering making it to see how many calories it would take to fill me up. My normal breakfast, which coincidentally is vegetarian, is 273 calories.

I'm guessing one slice (200 cal, 5.6 g protein) would have me looking for more food in 15 minutes due to the low protein count, even if I added 6 g of butter for another 43 calories. Probably I would want at least two slices, with butter, so 486 calories.

I'd be willing to try it, but Amazon's choices for Erythritol is $13.29 ($0.33/Ounce) and almond flour $19.99 ($0.42/Ounce) (there are cheaper options for this but it is still WAY more expensive that wheat flour.)

If I were a lacto-ovo vegetarian looking to do keto, my breakfast would more likely be eggs scrambled with low carb veg plus cheese.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    This might be a useful reference for vegetarians who eat eggs and are interested in keto (vegan links in there as well): https://www.ruled.me/comprehensive-guide-vegetarian-ketogenic-diet/

It has sample meals. I was intrigued by the Keto Zucchini Bread with Walnuts recipe and was considering making it to see how many calories it would take to fill me up. My normal breakfast, which coincidentally is vegetarian, is 273 calories.

I'm guessing one slice (200 cal, 5.6 g protein) would have me looking for more food in 15 minutes due to the low protein count, even if I added 6 g of butter for another 43 calories. Probably I would want at least two slices, with butter, so 486 calories.

I'd be willing to try it, but Amazon's choices for Erythritol is $13.29 ($0.33/Ounce) and almond flour $19.99 ($0.42/Ounce) (there are cheaper options for this but it is still WAY more expensive that wheat flour.)

If I were a lacto-ovo vegetarian looking to do keto, my breakfast would more likely be eggs scrambled with low carb veg plus cheese.

Agreed, the cost of the "keto" branded foods is ridiculous!!

I can not afford almond flour or monk fruit sweetener.

I make bread-like products from egg and cheese batters. They surprisingly turn out very bread like.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    In Russia, they are called Ketotarianskys. :)
    In Mexico, Ketotariamigos.
    In the UK, Ketolimeys, which is bloody confusing.

The strangest part is that only one of those was flagged by the spell checker.
  • LyndaBSS
    Options
    Derpes wrote: »

It would definitely be your last diet! 😂
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options

Good luck.

Eggs would make it a lot easier too.

When I tried keto as an experiment, eggs were an easy basic breakfast (veg omelet with feta, which was basically what I was having already, I just switched out other fruits for half an avocado on the side).

Cottage cheese is a good source of protein too. I found that days I had a serving of greek yogurt made it impossible to hit my numbers if I also had nuts. Granted, I eat a lot of veg, and even non starchy veg add up.

But I consistently found myself eating meat at both lunch and dinner, which was more meat than I like to consume. I couldn't have hit my protein goal otherwise unless I just went nuts with the eggs, I guess.

I don't really eat meat substitutes or seitan, so those would likely help. (I do eat tofu/tempeh, but the carbs in those add up quickly too, and I personally prefer not having it daily although there's nothing wrong with it if someone does want to.)

My carbs were over the usual recommendation -- about 35 net, 60 total -- as it was, mainly from veg plus the cottage cheese or plain greek yogurt and nuts, with no fruit other than avocado, and that's without adding in more tofu/tempeh and dairy for protein in lieu of the meat.

I'm sure vegan+keto can be done, but it would be very difficult, IMO, and would get old fast.