reducing carbs

Hi Folks
I need to reduce my carb intake as I've been told I've got a "endomorph" body. I realise that it's lunacy to cut carbs out of my diet & I'm certainly not going there! Any tips on best websites for low carb info? I seem to have got my head around low fat etc., just can't seem to get my carb ratio right.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    You can't do low everything. There's no reason to do low anything, just stay in your budget but you can't be low carb and low fat.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Punch whoever told you A) cut out carbs and B) you are an endomorph, both are utter stupid. Carbs are not your enmey, they are the fuel your body needs to run, they should make up atleast 30% of your diet. All the low carb diets/restrictive diets tend to end in your gaining your weight back plus extra on top.

The whole endomorph rubbish has no bases in science, if I wasnt in work I'd post some links disproving the theory but im sure someone will fill it in for me :D
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Another bunch of uninformed people commenting on low carb way of life. You body needs absolutely no carbs. There is no RDA for carbs. There are no conditions associated with low carb but there are numerous for low protein. If you follow it properly, it is completely sustainable. The body burns glucose for fuel. Fat is converted to glucose. You don't need carbs for energy.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Fat is not the enemy either.

But if you're looking for a way to reduce carbs as a percentage of intake in order to create more room for your protein/fat macros, skip the carb sides (fries, drinks, rice, etc) on meals.
  • cindirookbanman
    cindirookbanman Posts: 71 Member
    don't know about sites re: low-carb info, but there are some fantastic low-carb recipes on Pinterest!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    Another bunch of uninformed people commenting on low carb way of life. You body needs absolutely no carbs. There is no RDA for carbs. There are no conditions associated with low carb but there are numerous for low protein. If you follow it properly, it is completely sustainable. The body burns glucose for fuel. Fat is converted to glucose. You don't need carbs for energy.

Correct you don't need carbs, that said I find I function much better with 45-50%.

OP it is better to do low carb than low fat, as fat is an essential macro.
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 559 Member
    lol somatotypes.
    They were invented by a psychologist in the 1940s and, as far as I'm aware, have no basis in actual science.
    You don't need to cut carbs because you're an "endomorph." Seriously, do whatever you want, as long as you get adequate macro/micronutrients and eat at a calorie deficit.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member

Fat being converted to glucose (gluconeogenesis), is also a stressed state for the body to be in for too long a period of time. To say that the body needs absolutely no carbs is the height of stupidity. There is low carb and then there is no carb (big difference). Not to say there is not a place for low, or for that matter very low carb—severe metabolic damage, obesity etc... require LC or VLC to get the body functioning properly again. And for some of those people for that matter, may never function normally again and may need to stay LC or VLC for the rest of their lives. But to equate that to a normal, healthy functioning individual is incorrect.