Continue down this path or try something new?

Options
I need some help and opinions... I'm thinking about trying the TDEE method but I'm not totally sure it's for me. I have researched where I should be if I try this method but the thought of eating more to lose weight is still a little over my head. I have lost about 28 lbs doing it the MFP way and am only about 5 lbs away from my goal weight. I cant' seem to get rid of those last few pounds! (Truly I would be happy staying where I am right now forever but would love to be 120lbs. again) Now I know it is much harder once you get so close to your goal which is why I wonder if I should switch or keep doing what I am already doing. Any help or suggestions?

Please keep it nice since I'm not one to let the random public know my business :)

Replies

• caramammal
    caramammal Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    if it were me, i would continue doing what you're doing, it's working right? Slowly but surely? One of the things i notice when i am close to 120lbs is that i have to work even harder to get rid of the last few. Could it be that your maintenance calories are now a lower (because you weight less), so maybe you could do with adjusting to create a larger deficit, or be prepared to accept the weight will shift, but a lot more slowly.

Another trick i learned is to have a week at eating at maintenance calories, just to shake things up a bit. You will probably notice a spike of the scale when you do this, but it will even out. After a week, go back to the usual deficit. Not saying this works for everyone but it does for me.

Good luck to you, the last few lbs can be a killer, but dont give up
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    How much weight have you set your weekly goal to lose on MFP? With only a few lbs left to go you should decrease your goal to only 1/2lb per week if it is currently above this. This will help ensure the majority of your loss comes from fat, and also means you are taking your calories closer to maintenance the nearer to goal you are, rather than further away.

It may take a long time to get the last few lbs off as you may not have much fat left to spare but stick with it and you'll get there.
  • MrsRosenow
    MrsRosenow Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I believe I have my weekly goal set to lose a 1/2 lb but I will definitely check that out and switch to that if I'm not already there. Thanks for the advice! SO hard to just stick with it sometimes!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I am switching toTDEE in September when I star the strong lift program...mainly because it is hard to estimate calories burned fom lifting.

Mind you that is my only reason.

I think it's all about what your goals are and how you want to acheive them...

Keeping in mind TDEE has to be adjusted based on different variables and you have to keep track etc.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    5 pounds? Perhaps you need to step back and honestly take a look at your goals and adjust if you needed. My weight fluctuates 7 pounds within a given day.