How to eat all your carbs?

This is my 5th week of counting macros and I’m having such a hard time in eating all my carbs, and I’m really avoiding in eating carbs after 6pm, any suggestions, does it mean that I need to eat more carbs when eating breakfast and lunch?

Replies

• moogie_fit
    moogie_fit Posts: 279 Member
    Oatmeal, bread, milk, yogurt, veg, fruit, anything with added sugar, granola bars
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    I think of carbs as a maximum, protein as a minimum and don't worry much at all about fat.

I also don't believe in setting artificial time limits on my macros.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    I don't pay much attention to the macros. I focus on staying in a calorie deficit.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I use carbs to fill in the blanks after hitting protein and fat. I do make sure I get enough especially when gaining and around heavy workout days. Pasta, bread, noodles, rice, potatoes, fruit, cereals.. if you are struggling to get cals in juices, syrups, jams, dried fruit, candy.

Are you trying to gain? Lose? No reason not to consume after 6pm. If you are bulking that can really limit you especially if you are trying to get your calories in.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Macro percentages are largely personal preference. If you want to use macros as a guide, you can lower your carb percentage to something that is more manageable to you.

As others have said, there is no reason to not eat carbs after 6pm. So if you do want to eat more carbs, that would be the first thing that you should change.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    This is my 5th week of counting macros and I’m having such a hard time in eating all my carbs, and I’m really avoiding in eating carbs after 6pm, any suggestions, does it mean that I need to eat more carbs when eating breakfast and lunch?

Focus on what matters most...calories. You can play with your macros later...or not...they aren't particularly important outside of personal performance and preference. There's nothing magical about hitting a certain amount of carbs or anything like that...they are default guidelines and that is all. Most people will ultimately adjust them to fit with there personal preferences and/or fitness performance.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member

Why are you avoiding carbs after 6pm?
  • J72FIT
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Focus on what matters most...calories. You can play with your macros later...or not...they aren't particularly important outside of personal performance and preference. There's nothing magical about hitting a certain amount of carbs or anything like that...they are default guidelines and that is all. Most people will ultimately adjust them to fit with there personal preferences and/or fitness performance.

You beat me to it...
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    I don't track macros at all because it is just really not worth the time to me to input all the ingredients and weights into MFP for something I will eat once or twice and never again (my husband does the cooking and keeps tracks of weights and calories on a white board in the kitchen and then I create overall calorie entries for dinners based on that). I understand other people may feel differently, of course.

Though honestly I am probably eating at least 200-250 grams of carbs a day, at least 40-50% of which are consumed after 8PM.
  • J72FIT
    I appreciate the comments, the reason why i was saying not to eat carbs after 6pm was because carbs turn into fat when your not moving around so much. However I do eat protein at night.

Not true...
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    I appreciate the comments, the reason why i was saying not to eat carbs after 6pm was because carbs turn into fat when your not moving around so much. However I do eat protein at night.

yeah no...there is no science to support that...excess calories turn to fat, regardless of what time of day you eat them...
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited August 2019
    J72FIT wrote: »

Not true...

Only if you believe in the carb fairy...utter nonsense/myth
    Poor Gizmo got a woo
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member

Actually, the thing that turns into fat most readily . . . is fat, because it's already fat, right? (Less "turning into" is required.) But even fat won't be stored as body fat in a calorie deficit, or on net even in maintenance, so no worries.