How much of it is body dismorphia?

Options
Interested in your thoughts - are there people here who will never been happy with their appearance no matter the progress made? I thought about this during my walk yesterday. I was looking at my arm and it seemed so slim/skinny. It was as though I was looking at someone else's arm because in my opinion, this arm I was staring at did not match the body that I see in the mirror every morning. So I wonder, even if I lost the other 10-15 pounds, will it be enough?

Replies

• Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Deleted
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Yes, you have an hour to edit. There's what looks like a bolded asterisk on the top right, next to the 3 button strip.

In a perfect world, we would all love and be confident in the bodies we have. Sadly, that's far from reality.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    People are being marketed based solely on their appearance. Sometimes it comes down to specific body parts. In general, looks are a poor motivator. If it was really all about the looks we would all stick to exercise and eating plans most of the time. Using looks for your motivator tends to make you feel worse. It's better to focus on what we can do and not how we look. Cute isn't everything.
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I've met the extreme version, like people with eating disorders, but I think a vast number of people have a small degree of it, combined with an unrealistic beauty standard. Especially women. We're raised to see ourselves in terms of flaws to be improved.

Truth.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I still buy clothes that are too big as I haven’t yet mentally adjusted. It takes time
  • Roza42
    Roza42 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I've lost a bit over 100 lbs last year and a half. When I see a full length reflection I'm surprised. Because when I look at myself I see all the fat spots. Partly because at 170 lbs I am broad shouldered and my upper body is pretty thin while my tummy and legs are not.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    There are absolutely people who aren't happy with their appearance, regardless of the progress. The truth is our happiness with our bodies has a lot of to do with things other than what our bodies actually look like. Happiness with ones body really comes from within. Sometimes we have to accept that the standards that we have been influenced to think are realistic really aren't, and that it's okay if our bodies never get there.

I am still 20 pounds overweight, and I feel like I am "happy" with my body. That doesn't mean I am not trying still to change it. Of course I want to improve. But feeling positive about how I am now is a choice that I try to make.

Same. My body is strong and powerful and lets me do the things I want to do. I love this body.

But I had to love myself first. I've never really hated myself, but I was critical. I'm not so critical any more. That little belly pouch helped grow a pretty great kid. Those size 11 feet make me pretty darn good at balance poses in yoga. Etc.

Yep, I was unhappy with my size 11 feet when I was in school, but learned to love them after starting yoga and balancing poses.

I have a large frame and felt awkward when being intimate with normal height men, so sought partners on the excessively tall side. My OH is a foot taller than me, which is great.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    When I got married 10 years ago and was trying on wedding dresses I had to sneak photos of all of them to look at later because I could not tell from just looking in the mirror if I really liked them. I don’t have this trouble with other clothes (usually), it was weird. I am happy overall with the new me (still 2 pounds from goal) but sometimes I think there is still so much to improve. Wish my butt was perkier. Wish my “bat wings” were completely gone (they’re almost gone) and my thighs didn’t juggle at all when I walk. Should I still lose some body fat? Should I get another Dexa scan to measure body fat? So much craziness.