Weighing Scrambled eggs before or after cooking?

Options
Hello from Paris France,

I am curious as I use a balance to weigh the food I eat. I noticed weighing them before cooking or after makes a great difference.

Scrambled eggs loose about ten grams. I pour a little water in so which ten grams did I loose?

Because even when I make scrambled eggs without water it still looses about ten grams.

I'd like to make a correct entry, this feels like I'd need to know molecules... lol deep nutrition.

Thanks for the help 😘

Replies

• CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Neither one. USDA lookup has the calories for eggs and their cooking methods based on size. The size of an egg is a defined quantity.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs every day. I just add the egg itself in my diary, according to size, as the above poster suggested.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,409 Member
    Options
    I would weight them uncooked but peeled. Then weight the oil for cooking and everything else you add to them raw/cold.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    If being really nitpicky I break them in a bowl on the scale to get the weight (use the USDA entry for raw eggs).

I can eyeball what an egg will be very well, however, so now am as likely to go with that. I use eggs from local farms that sell at my farmer's market, and they vary in size quite a bit. For sized eggs the USDA entries by size are good enough, but they likely would not be the same in France.

Obviously also log any butter used for cooking and anything added to the eggs if you do that.
  • todds404
    todds404 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    It actually doesn't matter whether you weight them before or after. What really matters is you pick one and then do that consistently.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh eggs. I just enter the size, usually large, and continue with my happy life. if I am I using them for a recipe, then I weigh and log the other ingredients as well.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,409 Member
    Options
    Ok, put bowl/pan on scale, tare scale, crack open egg, log weight.
  • LyndaBSS
    Options
    Oh, well you made me think of how you peel a hard boiled egg. Thought I was missing out on something. ☺
  • ElMilagro1
    ElMilagro1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I've never weighed an egg. That's way too OCD 4me.

😂 You must be really judgmental.

I'm doing my best, thank you all for your answers. I need to do some searching!

So a fried egg doesn't need to be weighed before cooking. It is just a matter of size...

I'll see if we have similarities in sizes.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,996 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    On eggs, I just go with the standard nutritional info on the carton. I do weigh my butter or oil though. 1 large egg is typically around 70 calories
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    ElMilagro1 wrote: »

So a fried egg doesn't need to be weighed before cooking. It is just a matter of size...

Some people can be a little "snarky" at times on this forum.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    ElMilagro1 wrote: »

You could also weigh them for a couple of weeks and then average the highest 5 or so weights and use that until you felt the need to check it again (change brands, etc)

I don't weigh eggs. I buy the extra large and log the jumbo which I think covers me. The other reason is I don't know if the calories per gram is evenly scalable. If the difference between the entry and my egg is mostly egg white it wouldn't add any significant calories. If I get a 2 yolk egg I log it as 2 smaller eggs.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options

I got into the habit of weighing eggs when I was buying them at farm stands and the sizes were obviously different.

Then I started weighing supermarket eggs and learned there can be a lot of variety within a package of those as well.
  • LyndaBSS
    Options
    If I get a double yolker, I do a happy dance! 😎
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    so since water is a zero calorie addition - the calories between a raw egg and a cooked egg don't differ - i would weigh raw and just use that for consistency - but if you are say eating eggs in a restaurant, give it your best guess
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    You are only eating what's cooked, so weigh the cooked egg. I log them by size because it's close enough for me.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options

When you have your own hens you can end up with quite a range.