Type 2 Diabetic and having difficulty loosing the weight

Options
LBekk
LBekk Posts: 1 Member
I have type 2 diabetes but I can control it with diet. I don't eat the greatest and I am finding I need to relearn how to eat. I walk 3 times a day and I am going to start weight lifting again. I have been told clean eating isn't the best for me but I know the Mediterranean diet might be the way to go. Looking for any suggestions on how to change up my diet cuz I love the sugar and carbs and I tend to graze through out the day.
Thank you!!!

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Hi. I'm a type 1 adult onset diabetic.

I eat a pescatarian diet (plant based with seafood, eggs and some dairy) and have gotten off of insulin.

Grazing doesn't work for me. I have more luck eating 3 solid meals.

Stay in a calorie deficit and lose weight. Good luck!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    LBekk wrote: »
    I have type 2 diabetes but I can control it with diet. I don't eat the greatest and I am finding I need to relearn how to eat. I walk 3 times a day and I am going to start weight lifting again. I have been told clean eating isn't the best for me but I know the Mediterranean diet might be the way to go. Looking for any suggestions on how to change up my diet cuz I love the sugar and carbs and I tend to graze through out the day.
    Thank you!!!

How to change your diet in order to lose weight will be different for everyone. Sugar and carbs don't make you gain weight, calories do, but as a diabetic I assume you have carb levels you stick to in order to control your diabetes. Other than that, all you need to do is hit your calorie goal.

One of the things I love about logging is that over time, you really get a feel for which foods fill you up, and which are just a waste of calories and leave you hungry.

This post is a great "MFP starter" post:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

If you have questions about how to make your diet better to control your diabetes, those should be directed at an RD or a Diabetes counselor.

Good luck :drinker:
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Ask your doctor for a referral to a registered dietitian specializing in diabetes nutrition.

This.

An RD can teach you how to eat and give you sample meal plans to follow. Jumping into the Mediterranean diet may not be a good choice for you. You need to eventually end up with something that you find easy and tasty so that you can sustain it.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    apullum wrote: »
    Ask your doctor for a referral to a registered dietitian specializing in diabetes nutrition.

This.

An RD can teach you how to eat and give you sample meal plans to follow. Jumping into the Mediterranean diet may not be a good choice for you. You need to eventually end up with something that you find easy and tasty so that you can sustain it.

Yup. And, if you are worried about medical insurance, I have numerous diabetic relatives and their insurance has always covered an RD for a diagnosed diabetic. Yours may differ, of course, but that’s been my experience.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    T2Dm here. I agree that an appointment with an RD is the best way to go to help figure out a meal plan for you. Have you taken the classes usually offered to diagnosed diabetics? They are run by Certified Diabetic Educators and are great to figure out how to eat for the disease. That information plus the info from the RD should get you on the right track to both manage the disease and lose weight.