Help!!

Options
Going to the Exhibition tomorrow - aka a Fair aka lots of rides and greasy foods. This happens once a year and I want to enjoy some food there BUT I’m on my very first week here and have been doing well and don’t want to undo my work. I’m going to try to choose a meal at the Ex that’s not too dreadful in calories....and my one treat will be a spudnut. For a drink I’ll stick to water. Anyone have suggestions on diet friendly fair food choices?

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    They have fresh fruit stands at the state fair here (MN). Corn on the cob. A lot of fried food, calorie laden food/drinks. I stay home and avoid the eating frenzy, much as I love it. Too much temptation.
    Best of luck!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Be selective; get a few foods you really want, not all the food. If you go with others, buy one order of each thing and split it rather than eating an entire order yourself—that way you get to sample more stuff.

Or just eat it, log it, move on, and recognize that one day means almost nothing as long as the rest of the days are on track. One day of overeating in a rare while is just life.

A pattern of overeating is a problem. Indulging at the fair for one day doesn’t undo anything unless you let it become multiple days of overeating. Assuming you get right back on track, the worst that could happen is a brief slowdown in your weight loss and temporary water/waste weight gain, which might keep the scale from moving for a while.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Avoid the greasy foods. I love fair corn on the cob, and usually get some sort of chicken taco/pita thing.

But the important question is - What is a spudnut?!? :o

I'm hoping for some kind of potato donut hybrid.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Avoid the greasy foods. I love fair corn on the cob, and usually get some sort of chicken taco/pita thing.

I'm in Idaho and we have ice cream that they make to look just like a baked potato (jacket potato, for those across the pond). I can't remember what they are called, but I'm guessing it might be that. I've never had one.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Yep, it's a doughnut made out of potato starch or sometimes mashed potatoes. :blush:
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    Chose one or two smaller things that you'd normally not be able to get, and stick to them. Enjoy them. Expect water weight to go up due to sodium or any other reason. Go on with your life.
  • Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    ldaratha wrote: »
    Going to the Exhibition tomorrow - aka a Fair aka lots of rides and greasy foods. This happens once a year and I want to enjoy some food there BUT I’m on my very first week here and have been doing well and don’t want to undo my work. I’m going to try to choose a meal at the Ex that’s not too dreadful in calories....and my one treat will be a spudnut. For a drink I’ll stick to water. Anyone have suggestions on diet friendly fair food choices?

One suggestion: eat something filling and low calorie (like a big salad) before you go so you aren't starving. Enjoy the fair and have a great time!
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others to choose sparingly but still enjoy the things you like. I'd like to add that this can actually be framed in a positive way - by forcing a decision, you'll learn which things you really do enjoy, and which things you ate just because they were there. It really helps when making future decisions on treats so you don't end up disappointed when you splurge.
  • ldaratha
    ldaratha Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!! I never really go crazy with the food, but I’m trying to stick to my calories and that’s hard enough with “normal” food. I had a short term goal of losing ten pounds quickly, that’s why I’m trying to be careful. A spud nut is a donut made with potatoes....yum !!
  • shewhoismany
    shewhoismany Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I just came home from Musikfest. I looked at the food vendors before I left the house and chose something I knew I really wanted but could fit into my daily. I pushed off eating until later in the day, so I had something I really wanted to look forward to. Roasted Corn of the Cob with Parmesan and Spices. Then the family shared a funnel cake. Eating with a bunch of piranhas and confident of my caloric estimation.
  • coffeexxeyes
    coffeexxeyes Posts: 35 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    If it's only once a year, I'd just enjoy it and use it as an opportunity to practice portion control. If you want an elephant ear and you usually eat the entire thing, then eat half! Water is an excellent choice. The only thing I'd choose over that is fresh squeezed lemonade. 🍋😋 candy apples and corn dogs also arent too bad! I wouldnt get too anxious about counting calories on this day. Have fun! Eat healthy following up to the event, then practice portion control! Choose 2 or 3 things you really want.

I've been watching my diet for the past three weeks now after falling off the wagon, but my fiance and I have a special dinner tomorrow at one of the city's best restaurants. That's life! Next week, no excuses :) but things like this only happen about twice a year for us. So, I'm getting the specialities: fried chicken, collards, biscuits n gravy, mashed potatoes, yum! Cant miss out on the wine and pecan pie either. I'll be practicing my portions right along with you tomorrow, but not counting that day! 🥰❤
  • shewhoismany
    shewhoismany Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    @coffeexxeyes I agree with you, in theory. I hope you and your fiancee have a wonderful time. It sounds like you've got this in the bag and nailed.

But I couldn't do it. Any temporary pleasure I got from the food (oh gosh, I love fried chicken!) would quickly be overwhelmed by guilt and any residual pleasure from the meal would be lost.

@ldaratha You have to find a balance that works for you. But if you can do it, take coffeexxeyes advice because I am sitting here wishing I had eaten that pie in a cone when I had the chance.
  • ldaratha
    Options
    Corn dog!! I
    Like that idea.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Yep, it's a doughnut made out of potato starch or sometimes mashed potatoes. :blush:

I'm there.
  • ldaratha
    Options
    Well I was hungry and ate more than intended / a corn dog, pork souvlaki, a caramel apple with nuts and a spudnut!! Plus a few sips from my kids slushes. We were there for 7 hours so I logged that I walked at slow pace for 4 of those hours. That gave me 1000 extra calories....is that right? Doesn’t seem to be. But if true then according to My Fitness Pal, I did not go over my calories, even eating all that Fair food. 🤷🏻‍♀️
    I’m ready to be back on track today. Tomorrow will end my first week on here.