RUNNING: Asics or Nike

Options
Please choose and explain WHY. Thank you ! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Can only speak from personal experience. I have wide feet. Nikes don't cater to my kind of people. I've had Asics, Brooks, and now Saucony's. I've been happy with all three. Personally I liked my Brooks the best for running. I think going and finding a running specialty store and getting fitted would be best if you're serious about running. Brand means nothing compared to a good fitting shoe with what you need from one (such as stability or "bare-footed" feel, etc.).
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    That's not the question you want to ask before buying running shoes. The brand is not important at all; how you run, where you run, your foot shape -- that's what's important.

But if you must know, I run in either Nike Pegasus 28 or ASICS Gel Cumulus 14, I like the heavy duty ASICS model more. I feel it absorbs pounding better, I mostly run on the road.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I hope you realize the results of survey will be 100% useless in terms of picking the right running shoe for yourself.
  • JulieAnn72
    JulieAnn72 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    My running shoes are Nike because that's what felt best when I went to a store and had them fit me for shoes. I knew nothing about running shoes when I walked into the store, but the Nike Pegasus shoes (no idea what number they are) felt the best when I tried them out, and I'm very happy with them now that I'm running regularly.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Find a place that sells running sneakers with staff who know how to properly fit your feet (watch you run/walk, actually look at your feet, etc.). Get whatever feels the best to you.

I wore Asics for years, and I really like them. However, the best running sneakers for me are Brooks. I have never been able to wear Nikes, as they just don't seem to fit/support my feet properly.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Can only speak from personal experience. I have wide feet. Nikes don't cater to my kind of people. I've had Asics, Brooks, and now Saucony's. I've been happy with all three. Personally I liked my Brooks the best for running. I think going and finding a running specialty store and getting fitted would be best if you're serious about running. Brand means nothing compared to a good fitting shoe with what you need from one (such as stability or "bare-footed" feel, etc.).
    Same here. I'd also add New Balance.
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Asics! I just got 2 new pairs of Asics after running in new Nike Free's which had zero support for me, though they were lightweight! Asics Gel feel great to me!
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky, the ASICS and Nike shops are opposite each other, and indoors :)

My choices are the same as SadFaerie's. But I had fittings and gait analysis in both and went with the one that best fit with what I knew - I did the wet footprint test and really do know I have a fairly neutral gait. I bought both and think I prefer the ASICs - though I prefer Nike in Aerobic boots when I can get them!

Best advice from me is to buy one or two makes in a sale - last year's colours are usually cheaper - and road test them! Use the one you like least for wombling around rather than training.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    That's not the question you want to ask before buying running shoes. The brand is not important at all; how you run, where you run, your foot shape -- that's what's important.

^^^ This

Go for fit over all else (what works for me may not work for you)
  • excitedaboutfitness
    excitedaboutfitness Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/ASICS-Womens-Gel-Forte-Running-Lightning/dp/B0088WXWQG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=3JEDLO7L9SA0K&coliid=I37FG6M79PFGUI&psc=1

I use these Asics, great for my over pronation issues! I did, however, get these after a fitting and recommendation from my local specialty running store :-)
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Niether, both suck.

oh, wait...

Both... they are both excellent shoes.

oh, wait...

Nike... asics don't fit right.

oh, wait...

Asics, nike don't fit right.

*sigh*

No one can tell you which to pick. Both companies make cheap low end shoes. Both companies make good high end shoes. Which you pick should be solely determined by which fits you the best based on your weight, stride, and foot shape. Much like the perfect pair of jeans, the right shoes are HIGHLY individual.
  • awesomek001
    awesomek001 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I'm an Asics girl all the way - not only do they fit nicer but I think they have cuter shoes (yes boys, that's important!). Nike do tend to fit narrower. Personally, I've tried Saucony but didn't like the feel. Again, as everyone has mentioned, if you're going to start seriously running you do want to get a gait analysis done before making a decision.
  • sayhitostephz
    sayhitostephz Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Brooks!
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Neither - Brooks. Why? Because when I was fitted by a professional running store, and got to try several brands, they were the ones that were best for MY body and gait. You should throw brand out the window and do the same thing.

Through the many years of running and racing I still wear Brooks, so I really can't comment on the fit/feel difference of other brands. And since Brooks gives me a subsidy to wear their gear racing, I have no reason to switch. However, I would in a heartbeat if for some reason their shoes no longer worked for me.

Brand loyalty is not a bad thing, once you know the brand is right for you.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Neither - Brooks. Why? Because when I was fitted by a professional running store, and got to try several brands, they were the ones that were best for MY body and gait. You should throw brand out the window and do the same thing.

Through the many years of running and racing I still wear Brooks, so I really can't comment on the fit/feel difference of other brands. And since Brooks gives me a subsidy to wear their gear racing, I have no reason to switch. However, I would in a heartbeat if for some reason their shoes no longer worked for me.

While I agree with your general point, it is important to realize that most companies make shoes with different fits/supports. So while the brooks adrenaline might be a great shoe for you, the brooks ghost might not be. Simply following a brand isn't enough.
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options

While I agree with your general point, it is important to realize that most companies make shoes with different fits/supports. So while the brooks adrenaline might be a great shoe for you, the brooks ghost might not be. Simply following a brand isn't enough.

Of course. I assumed that was obvious. Realize it may not be so your point is good. The "fitted by a professional running store" should cover the issue for the OP, however.
  • Witchdoctor58
    Witchdoctor58 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    As a rule, Nike and Asics both fit my narrow long foot with high arches and tendency toward pronation. Asics run small and are hard to find in size 11. I find Asics wear out more quickly, especially in the toe box.

I'm pretty sure both are made in foreign sweatshops; I know that Nike is.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Instead of asking about what brand is better, go and actually get fitted and have your stride analyzed at a running shoe store.

For the record, Nikes tend to fluctuate a lot in how they size with their more affordable shoes and you don't tend to see any real consistency until you spend some money on their $150 and up shoes.
  • IZackV13
    IZackV13 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I know I'm in the minority here, but Adidas fit my feet so perfectly it's not even funny. I just bought new shoes this week and liked a pair of Nike's quite a bit, but as soon as I put my right foot into the pair of Adidas I was sold.
  • Witchdoctor58
    Witchdoctor58 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I love my Adidas ClimaCools, too.