Frustrated.

Options
Good morning everyone. I work up excited for the day today but then I jumped on the scale. I feel like I have been really good this week but the scale has only moved up... Mornings like this make me incredibly sad and leave me wanting to give up. Any advise for how to stay on track with this crappy feeling?

Replies

• doomspark
    doomspark Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Am tempted to say "throw out the scale"

More seriously, I made a pact with myself to only step on the scale once a week (if that often). Instead, I concentrate on NSVs - like tightening my belt one notch, or being able to walk faster, or being able to climb stairs without huffing like a steam engine.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is not a linear process. The body does not know the difference from one Sunday to the next - it's about how it averages out monthly. Also, 1lb can be anything - water weight, a long workout causing muscle swelling, an inch difference on where the scale is placed on the floor.

Do the right thing and wait. Results will follow.
  • nonameuno
    Options
    Thanks guys! That helps a lot!! :D
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Personally, I couldn't weigh weekly. I weigh daily just to see the fluctuations. Maybe you were down a lb a couple days ago and then just ate something yesterday that made you retain water. Just a thought!
  • Coyoteldy
    Coyoteldy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    yup get off the scale or at least put it into perspective...lots and lots of things affect the scale.. water weight, illness, activity levels, swelling.. salt, sugar...calorie hoarding by the body...toss it or laugh at it but don't depend on it..mine says I gained 2 pounds this week...not with my calorie intake.. LOL and I know it...so hang in there and remember that the scale is a tool we use.. a bad tool at that!!
  • jessthib09
    jessthib09 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    This sounds like exactly what I have been going thru the last 3 weeks. I have been up every time I weigh myself and this last week I only weighed myself only twice. It is two times too many I am sure, but it is progress for me. I agree with these other posts. We need to avoid the scale and focus on inches and NSVs. Plus, people don't see a number on a scale when they look at us, they see inches! So keep pushing and going hard. It will pay off in time.

I am looking for some motivational friends if you want to add me :)
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    The scale is just like the Dow Jones Industrial Average--it's a saw-tooth graph but over time there is a trend. If you are so inclined you can put your daily weights in a spreadsheet and then come up with a 20-day or 50-day moving average that will tell you what's happening. That's a bit toward fanaticism but if you can mentally visualize it, it will help dampen your reaction to market fluctuations and a fickle scale.
  • feelin_gr_8
    feelin_gr_8 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    It might not be bad to try weighing yourself in a couple days instead of waiting another week and see if it was just water weight or something like that, so you don't feel bad all week....
  • jerimay22
    jerimay22 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I read recently that a woman's weight can fluctuate up to 6lbs either way each day, so I say ignore the scale and go with NSV and the way you feel. It's hard to do, But you will feel better and I know I work harder when I ignore the scale and focus more on fitting into my jeans better :o)