Sciatic Nerve Issues

Options
Has anyone here had any Sciatic Nerve Issues? If so how do you handle it when you work out? I have found that if I stretch out really well before I play softball or go on a walk it doesn't bother me too bad...but afterwards, even with stretching...it kills. I've been doing some work out videos and I'm gearing up for a 90 challenge where I want to start my TurboFire and with stretching before and after while I'm doing these videos It still kills during the workouts where I feel I'm limited. It's quite annoying actually. I've been to the chiropractor and he says I'm very tight and need to stretch out more...I'm not sure how much more I can stretch! I do it a few times a day, more if I work out, I found some other stretches online that are meant for sciatic nerve. I just want to get the most out of my workout and want this stupid issue to go away. I have another Chiro appt. next week. I was told by a coworker to get a massage before my appt to see if that will help loosen me up so he can adjust better. But I've been dealing with this for a little over a month now. So I guess any advice on maybe different stretches to do or if I need to try yoga or something, would help greatly Thanks!

Replies

• lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I have had a lot of issues with my sciatic nerve lately. Stretching, adding in yoga one day a week, and foam rolling helps!
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    I have been doing this twice a week and have noticed a big improvement in lower back and sciatic pain.

http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/weight-training-weight-lifting/warm-up-your-hips-agile-8-a-631289.html
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Could be from a tight piriformis muscle. The best way to address that is with a foam roller and targeted piriformis stretches. It takes a while to get better.
  • LeviLeDoux
    LeviLeDoux Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have sciatica due to deposits on my spine, which you can see in my default pic, and I've found that when I do yoga a few times a week it helps dramatically. I haven't been doing yoga recently and the pain often keeps me up at night. I'm definitely looking into getting a foam roller!
  • kristle00
    kristle00 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the info! GREATLY appreciated! :-)
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    If you think it's a flexibility issue, then a good painful massage might help. We're talking myofascial release level of pain. You can get some of that from foam rolling, but it would probably not be quite as effective as a massage.

Then again, it could be a strength imbalance--the muscles on one side of your body (in this case, front) could be disproportionately strong compared to the other (back). So strengthening the muscles on both sides, not just the side you see in the mirror, can help with that.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    ya it sucks and takes a long time to heal. Been dealing with this crap since xmas....fml
  • mdizzle99
    mdizzle99 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I've got the same thing. Dr told me to stop squats and deadlifts until I fix it :( He believes I'm setting myself up for disaster if I don't stop for now. The primary thing he said I need to fix is hamstring flexibility. He believes that is the root cause of most of my problems. After that, I need to retrain some muscles in my core that do not fire correctly due to being used incorrectly or not at all. It's going to take some time...

He has me doing a lot of these:

hwkb17_055.jpg
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I've got the same thing. Dr told me to stop squats and deadlifts until I fix it :( He believes I'm setting myself up for disaster if I don't stop for now. The primary thing he said I need to fix is hamstring flexibility. He believes that is the root cause of most of my problems. After that, I need to retrain some muscles in my core that do not fire correctly due to being used incorrectly or not at all. It's going to take some time...

He has me doing a lot of these:

hwkb17_055.jpg

I am skeptical when doctors say that, since they often dispense that advice for liability reasons... In my experience, back pain improves a lot with activity. Use your own judgment, of course, but if I were you, I would keep deadlifting and squatting, just perhaps emphasize volume and focus on form rather than go for the heaviest weights. For a healthy back, both strength and flexibility are important--not just one or the other.
  • GI_John_RN
    GI_John_RN Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest yoga. I would do a search for a post run or post workout yoga routine.