Increasing calories to maintenance

Hi folks! I have been using MFP for almost a year now and am now starting to consider heading to maintenance as I am at a healthy weight (yay!), however as I have been at a significant calorie deficit for almost an entire year I have now got used to eating much less food than before. Has anyone got any recommendations on increasing calories with healthy foods? I don't want to just start including more chocolate etc as an easy way to up my calories, I have recently started including more nuts in to my diet but any other suggestions would be most welcome!

Also curious to hear if others struggled with increasing calorie intake after restricting for a prolonged period of time!

Replies

• Tanya_Clair
    Tanya_Clair Posts: 31 Member
    Google reverse dieting... it is a method to gradually increasing calories over time until you are comfortably at maintenance. There is a lot of info out there, I recommend using a search engine to find it.

thanks, I will look in to that! :)
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,299 Member
    I just increased the amount of food I already eat
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,778 Member
    there are also some great threads stickied at the top of this forum which have insights! Good luck and congrats on your loss. Welcome to maintenance. :)
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    #1: Keep logging! I logged for a year while on maintenance and it has served me well for the subsequent several more years without logging. Your body wants to get that weight back for quite a long time after you reduce. Don't let it!
  • Tanya_Clair
    Tanya_Clair Posts: 31 Member
    #1: Keep logging! I logged for a year while on maintenance and it has served me well for the subsequent several more years without logging. Your body wants to get that weight back for quite a long time after you reduce. Don't let it!

that's my plan! Luckily I actually quite enjoy logging my days so I can easily see myself doing it for a long time :smiley: