I’m scared this is too much

2blbnd6gpivs.png

I just adjusted my goal. This seems like a lot of calories and I’m nervous to try it.

Replies

• jessackerman21
    jessackerman21 Posts: 44 Member
    Ok so, I’ve lost about 13 pounds so far on MFP. I’ve hit a plateau. I decided to enter my ultimate goal weight at 1 pound per week with little activity and this is what MFP generated. I was eating 1,200 when I lost the 13 pounds. Yes, I use a food scale for everything I can
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    How long did it take you to lose the 13 pounds?
  • jessackerman21
    Like 4 months
  • jessackerman21
    And I’ve used about every calculator on the web and every calculator is saying a different amount of calories
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Did your activity level actually change?

How long was your plateau?

Fluctuations and plateaus are a normal part of the process. You have to be patient with them. No drastic measures are needed.
  • jessackerman21
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Okay, so using math:

13lbs/4months = .8 lbs/week (approximately)

3500 calories/lb = 400 calorie deficit per day (for .8 lbs/week lost)

Add the 190 calories/day (1200 calories compared to the 1390 that you are now aiming for):

This will give you 1470 calorie deficit per week, which is .42lbs/week lost.

Your real life numbers will always be more informative than any of the calculators. The numbers above assume that you actually ate 1200 calories per day everyday without any over or under days, which is highly unlikely. Your best bet would be to take your actual numbers (total calories consumed over the 4 months) and use those against your weight loss to determine the actual effect of changing to a higher calorie intake. You will still lose on 1390.

Thank you! This is helpful
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    edited August 2019
    I was watching one of those 'inspirational' mega-weight loss shows yesterday. They seemed to do a one-size-fits-all of 1500 calories a day, tons of exercise, and then decrease the goals each quarter of their 1 year project. Most of their folk start off a little over 400 lbs, so their first 90 day goal is typically around 110 lbs (!), and when they start at so high a weight that is do-able (!). The next 90 days , typically starting from around 290 lbs, their goal is 60 lbs. The next 90 (from 230) their goal is 30 lbs. Getting to 200 seems to be where most folk go off track--not sure if that's a physiological thing about that weight level or whether it's because by that time they've been on the low calories and high exercise for 9 months which is hard to maintain. The final segment the goals were inconsistent because the starting weights were inconsistent. I'd interpolate maybe 16 lbs so that at the end of the year they're around 180-something?

I found it interesting because I think it sets an upper limit for what rate of loss you can expect based on what weight range you are in. Most of us don't have coaches etc. that the folks on the show do to keep us at those high rates and so I'm thinking its a maximum rate that we should mostly expect not to meet.

It seemed also that they *all* needed skin tucks at the end. One hopes that's only because they all started over 400 lbs and can maybe be avoided for those of us with less drastic starting weights and likely slower weight loss rates.

PS: with some of them the 'before' diet is pretty much a no-brainer as to how they got that fat. They universally had an emotional issue or trauma for which they'd used food as their go-to drug. (Keep in mind these were 400+ lb people so there was more to it than just getting inattentive about diet and exercise. also it's reality TV so you know they'd cherry-pick the people with the most dramatic stories).
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,959 Member
    2blbnd6gpivs.png

I just adjusted my goal. This seems like a lot of calories and I’m nervous to try it.

It's not a lot of calories. Unless you are already very light weight, very short, and sedentary, it is almost certainly below your maintenance calories.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    It would help if we knew your stats.
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    I'm about 5 foot, and weigh around 47-48 kilos and I lose weight on 1400. So unless you are smaller than me, you will be losing weight.
  • jessackerman21
    28 5’ 5” desk job with a good amount of steps during the day. Starting weight in Jan/ feb was 185. I’m at 173 now and I’ve actually gained. I got down to 170.
  • jessackerman21
    Someone please help. Either my scale is broken or I’m messing up bad. I weighed myself this morning and I’m up! Wtf😢
  • Beachbod2020
    Beachbod2020 Posts: 20 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Okay, so using math:

13lbs/4months = .8 lbs/week (approximately)

3500 calories/lb = 400 calorie deficit per day (for .8 lbs/week lost)

Add the 190 calories/day (1200 calories compared to the 1390 that you are now aiming for):

This will give you 1470 calorie deficit per week, which is .42lbs/week lost.

Your real life numbers will always be more informative than any of the calculators. The numbers above assume that you actually ate 1200 calories per day everyday without any over or under days, which is highly unlikely. Your best bet would be to take your actual numbers (total calories consumed over the 4 months) and use those against your weight loss to determine the actual effect of changing to a higher calorie intake. You will still lose on 1390.

What was that sum you did using a basic equation? I wouldn't mind working my own stats out. Thanks
  • jessackerman21
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Someone please help. Either my scale is broken or I’m messing up bad. I weighed myself this morning and I’m up! Wtf😢

Deep Breaths...

Weight loss is not linear. Many factors can cause fluctuations - extra sodium, extra carbs, stress, new exercise, hormones, time of month, etc.

How much were you up?

When you lost previously, were you logging accurately and consistently? You said you were using a food scale but were you logging everything you ate?

What was your rate of loss when you were eating 1200? Were you eating back exercise calories?

Bottom line with your stats you should be able to lose at 1390 cals, I’m not sure why that seems like a lot of calories. I’m shorter, lighter, and older and I lost all my weight eating 1600-1900 cals/day.

If the fluctuations bother you, get a trending weight app like Happy Scale which helps normalize the little spikes and dips and shows you the overall trend over time.

Well, I’ve been hovering around 173/174 for a few weeks. Yes, before when I was losing I was logging accurately and consistently. I was weighing things like meat, quinoa, and other things. If it was like a granola bar no but everything I could weigh I was.

I definitely lost all my weight on 1,200 calories within 3/4 months of starting. And no, I really haven’t done any exercise this whole time.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Deep Breaths...

Weight loss is not linear. Many factors can cause fluctuations - extra sodium, extra carbs, stress, new exercise, hormones, time of month, etc.

How much were you up?

When you lost previously, were you logging accurately and consistently? You said you were using a food scale but were you logging everything you ate?

What was your rate of loss when you were eating 1200? Were you eating back exercise calories?

Bottom line with your stats you should be able to lose at 1390 cals, I’m not sure why that seems like a lot of calories. I’m shorter, lighter, and older and I lost all my weight eating 1600-1900 cals/day.

If the fluctuations bother you, get a trending weight app like Happy Scale which helps normalize the little spikes and dips and shows you the overall trend over time.

Well, I’ve been hovering around 173/174 for a few weeks. Yes, before when I was losing I was logging accurately and consistently. I was weighing things like meat, quinoa, and other things. If it was like a granola bar no but everything I could weigh I was.

I definitely lost all my weight on 1,200 calories within 3/4 months of starting. And no, I really haven’t done any exercise this whole time.

How long is a few weeks exactly? It is very common to hover for a period of time. I very often wait 3 weeks to see a new low weight and my weight goes up and down the entire time while I wait. Here is an article to read:

http://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/