Dad bod to fit Dad

duke303
duke303 Posts: 1 Member
Hey guys, I thought I'd share my success story. Years of unhealthy habits and bad choices finally piled up on me this last Winter. I got up to my highest weight of around 218lbs. I felt awful. Bloated, lethargic, headaches, the whole nine. My wife and I decided to make an investment in ourselves for once and bought a Peloton. We both started in March. I changed my diet from eating whatever and whenever do tracking my calories and being accountable for what I put in my body. I went from a frat boy diet to high proteins, veggies, low sugar and cut out a lot of the bad stuff. Doing that with riding the peloton 5-7 days a week I've gone from 218 to a current weight of 167. I feel like a brand new person both physically and mentally. Being held accountable by my wife and the added competition and drive from the Peloton community was the equation that finally broke the cycle for me. I'm right around my goal weight now and I've been focusing on toning up and adding muscle at this point. This may sound like an advertisement for the Peloton, but it was the best money I've ever spent.

Replies

• kireler
    kireler Posts: 30 Member
    Congrats man! Sometimes it's all about finding what works for you.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Congratulations! I'm a bit older than you and have done battle with the dad-bulge several times. Pretty successfully over the past few years. My big suggestion for maintenance: keep logging your food for about a year to let your body adjust to your new weight!

I love the idea of Peloton, but I also swim and run, so I don't want to put all my $$ in one basket. I love riding outdoors whenever possible! (A lot of Peloton users seem to NEVER want to ride outdoors. The Peloton community is just so compelling!)

In winter, I do a free spin class at work (which is too easy for me and the spin bikes are not calibrated) and also ride my bike on a basic trainer while watching Netflix. I can get a good workout by myself if I do alternate intervals: 2min off the seat climb then 3 min crank, repeated for up to 60 minutes. I have a friend who loves his Zwift (which is significantly cheaper, but you use your own bike).
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Thanks for sharing your story. I think your progress is great. Keep marching forward, it's a lifetime journey.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!