Options
2»

Replies

• FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Bring something low calorie.

Be choosy about what foods you try. Don't eat food that isn't "special." You can get a bag of chips anywhere, anytime. You can't say the same about your friend's lasagna. Pass on the chips, try the lasagna.

Take small portions, just a bite or two of each thing. You can go back later if you're still hungry.

If you don't like your portion of something, you don't have to finish it. Since you only took a small portion, you won't be wasting much.

Don't hang out near the food. Go mingle somewhere on the other side of the room.

I actually don't agree with the advice to eat before you go. It's fine to not eat the potluck food if you legitimately do not want any of it, but it's miserable to be standing around staring at food that looks good and that you're not eating. I also would regret missing out on those "special" foods.

I was raised to eat all of every serving I took and it was a very hard rule for me to get rid of. I hated wasting food, especially when friends prepared it themselves. I was at a gathering once and saw someone pick up a brownie. She took one bite and said, "that is not worth the calories," then tossed the rest. But she was right. If you don't like something don't bother eating the rest. Save your calories for the foods you enjoy and do so in moderation at events.
  • ekboh
    ekboh Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Bring stuff you know YOU can eat and eat that! If you don't know what's in a dish someone brought, don't chance it... think stuff with cheese, mayo, sugar etc- you never know exactly how much is in it so it's hard to estimate. Easier to stick to stuff you can quantify like a veggie platter, or packaged goods with the nutrition facts still on it. Good luck!!
  • GoRun2
    GoRun2 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Great ideas