Losing to make a baby!

Options
2»

Replies

• brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »
    My mental health is just fine. Thanks. Remind me to NOT spend any time on forums, because the only thing I seem to get out of it is being chastised for NOT wanting to gain 50+ lbs and let myself go because I get pregant and am "eating for two."

Your body needs no extra calories other than maintenance during the first trimester. An extra 100-200 during the second, and an extra 300 during the third.

Obviously I spoke with exaggeration. It was meant to be humorous. I only meant that I hope I'm not one of those that laughs, grabs an entire pack of oreos, and justifies it because I'm "eating for two."

Forgive me for wanting to maintain my body. People take things WAY too literally.

Sorry for trying to express concern. It was not obvious to me that was a joke, it isn't funny, and there are many women who legitimately develop eating disorders during and immediately after pregnancy because of concern about their weight. As a woman who hated pregnancy, seriously stuggled with it, and gained 60lbs. I am not amused by your attempts at demeaning those who gain during pregnancy or turn a serious condition like morning sickness into light hearted joke about weight management. I fully support women making an effort to eat well during pregnancy and only gain a healthy amount of weight as determined in a discussion with health professionals.

I wasn't demeaning anyone. Only stating what I do not wish to happen to myself.
    I don't want to get cancer. I can say that openly without demeaning anyone who HAS cancer.
    I don't want to cut my hair. I'm not demeaning anyone who cuts their own.
    I don't want to gain 50+ lbs. Does not mean I am demeaning anyone who has or will.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    My mental health is just fine. Thanks. Remind me to NOT spend any time on forums, because the only thing I seem to get out of it is being chastised for NOT wanting to gain 50+ lbs and let myself go because I get pregant and am "eating for two."

Your body needs no extra calories other than maintenance during the first trimester. An extra 100-200 during the second, and an extra 300 during the third.

Obviously I spoke with exaggeration. It was meant to be humorous. I only meant that I hope I'm not one of those that laughs, grabs an entire pack of oreos, and justifies it because I'm "eating for two."

Forgive me for wanting to maintain my body. People take things WAY too literally.

0 for 1st trimester
    300 for 2nd trimester
    450 for 3rd trimester actually.

But thats on average recommendation. I was eating 2800 calories a day (700-800 extra a day from my norm) in my last trimester with my first but my body was on hyderdrive or something and I didnt gain quickly. I gained 22 lbs total that pregnancy, my medical goal to gain wouod have been 25 to 35. Sometimes you have to go by results not calories. My next pregnancy i could not eat that much at all. I ate more around the recommended amounts and gained 25 lbs.
  • TheRealSlim_Shelly
    TheRealSlim_Shelly Posts: 66 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options

I think a lot got lost in translation as happens on the internet. I took it as serious because you had said “honestly” and capitalized “very” in terms of being restrictive, so it was jarring to read if you take it as serious. I’m relieved to know it was a joke. I’ve seen and heard a lot of unhealthy ideals when it comes to pregnancy, so I wanted to offer information to anyone else reading our thread who also took the exaggeration as serious. I don’t know your situation as I said so I was attempting to tread lightly. I wrote my response in a way I felt was extremely thoughtful, sincere, and respectful, and was never meant to be taken as any other way but that.

In the chance that your exaggeration was serious, I wanted to address other women who may have similar preconceived ideas. I normally never respond to posts if I see something borderline problematic (if I thought the poster was serious) but there is something about the pregnancy-related posts that adds an extra layer of personal responsibility almost(?) to say something because it relates to a baby.

The first pregnancy can be overwhelming with information, friendly (and unsolicited,lol) advice, and expectations we place on ourselves. We all just try our best as moms and soon-to-be-moms and that’s the best anyone can hope for. Unfortunately, these boards aren’t nearly as bad as some of the responses on the boards of mommy websites 😅😅😅.
  • FadedNovelty
    FadedNovelty Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm also looking to lose some more weight before getting pregnant. I struggle a lot with losing weight and keeping it off, but I am doing my best. Anyone else in the same boat feel free to add me!
  • yelliezx
    yelliezx Posts: 633 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I'm losing to make a baby! I was 10lbs (180lbs) into an overweight BMI when I got pregnant with my son and gained 45lbs. Although I lost 25lbs a couple of days after giving birth (I had a bunch of fluid), I gained about 10 back and haven't had the motivation to get rid of it!

I made an agreement with my husband (my idea, not his) that if I lose 40lb then we can have another baby! This is suuuper motivating because I can't wait to have another lol.