Talofa lava (Hello there)

I need all the support I can get so the more the merrier. I have a goal to reach by 19th October 2019 I need to lose 10kg. So if you have yummy recipes to help me stay fuller for longer that would be awesome or if you have a favourite workout plan pass it on or simply you are on the same goal set lets achieve it together either way I would appreciate your help.

Faafetai (thank you)

Replies

• Ssim1971
    Ssim1971 Posts: 8 Member
    Talofa lava!

I'm not Samoan but we visited your beautiful shores last year, and loved it so much we visited again this year 😊 And... we hope to come back next year too. I come from a smallish island too, so I think that's why we love Samoa so much.

I don't have any recipes or workout tips to share. But you do have lots of fresh fish and fruit available to you - we loved all the fish stalls on the side of the road.

I've got to lose 50kg, so am on a longer journey to you. simply trying to keep calories between 1200-1400/day.

I've attached one of my favourite photos of Maninoa Beach 😊

• Pearl4686
    Pearl4686 Posts: 918 Member
    Ssim1971 wrote: Β»
    Talofa lava!

I'm not Samoan but we visited your beautiful shores last year, and loved it so much we visited again this year 😊 And... we hope to come back next year too. I come from a smallish island too, so I think that's why we love Samoa so much.

I don't have any recipes or workout tips to share. But you do have lots of fresh fish and fruit available to you - we loved all the fish stalls on the side of the road.

I've got to lose 50kg, so am on a longer journey to you. simply trying to keep calories between 1200-1400/day.

I've attached one of my favourite photos of Maninoa Beach 😊

If you have that much weight to lose, it's unlikely you need such an aggressive deficit. You will lose weight too quickly, and that is not healthy for you and will come with all sorts of serious side effects. Please read the stickies at the top of the forums to help you select a realistic rate of loss. Good luck!

And to the OP, good luck to you too! This community is full of good advice and suggestions so read the stickies too!
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Talofa lava! I also went to Samoa last year and LOOOOOVED it! Paradise!

As for the recipes and so on, that kind of depends on what you like to eat. It's a bit of a learning curve to work out what gives you good bang for your calorie buck.

Eat alllll the fish, alllll the green veg stuff (with less oil though - I found things a bit oily when I was there) and taro is 112 cals per 100g so make sure you weigh it out before going for gold on it!

• Ssim1971
    Ssim1971 Posts: 8 Member
    Thanks Perla4686, it's reassuring having people keep an eye on newbies 😊 I'm currently under doctor's supervision. I had minor surgery 4 weeks ago at 120kgs. Then I had a hyster this week. We agreed it was important to lose some weight prior to the hyster. My GP didn't consider 1200-1400 calories to be too aggressive for my age/weight and other conditions.

I've been pretty good at keeping under 1400 calories. 1200 is the bottom and I don't go below it. This app has helped with understanding calories, and cutting out most processed foods has helped. I'm still a sucker for cheese though πŸ˜†

And I think the other big change for me has been drinking water. I've never liked drinking water, but am making an effort to drink 1.5 litres/day. I've reduced my tea intake and dropped my 0.5 teaspoon of sugar to nil. Just little adjustments.

I'll head back to my GP in two weeks, and he'll review my progress then. At this stage I've lost 10kgs (before I lost 400ml blood and a dodgy uterus πŸ™„) but know that I'll be on a much more gentle trajectory from here on in.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    edited August 2019
    I need all the support I can get so the more the merrier. I have a goal to reach by 19th October 2019 I need to lose 10kg. So if you have yummy recipes to help me stay fuller for longer that would be awesome or if you have a favourite workout plan pass it on or simply you are on the same goal set lets achieve it together either way I would appreciate your help.

Faafetai (thank you)

Talofa lava to you grechfamily. I'd been to Western Samoa and American Samoa in my teens, experiencing a smorgasbord of your natural heritage etc and left understanding so much more, of what I'd always queried, yet never dared to ask.

To stay fuller longer, the usual favourites are (i) meat proteins like beef (ii) eggs and (iii) mixed nuts or nut butters.

If you're inclined to be in favour of your Pasifika dishes, sticking to your tribal cuisine with either a fresh catch or a fresh kill or the quality substitutes you have accessible to you, watch out for the excessive use of coconut milk/cream, with a more restrained use of oil and salt. If you can, try to resist or discipline your portion of our starches - like taro, cassava, breadfruit, plantain, yams, et al and the heavily sweetened tribal and Kiwi/Aussie & British influenced salads and dessert varieties.

To drop weight, focus on keeping a deficit with your calories, be on top of your hydration volume and commit to an activity you enjoy, that is sustainable.

So pleased I didn't miss your Introduction.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Talofa grechfamily!! Would you care to give us examples of foods you like to eat? It would then give us all something to work from, with substitutes you may use if you're still residing in QL, Australia.

Manuia!!