Weekend warrior weight spikes

iw709kcw0fw1.png

(Horizontal line is 2lb increments)

I've been "going big" on the weekends with lots of big workouts including triathlons, ocean swims, hikes, runs, rides, that sort of stuff. In general, I've been burning a lot of calories, and I compensate by eating a lot of calories. Also, I have a couple of beers here and there, typically only on weekends.

For the past several weeks, I've had a significant weight spike on Monday morning then dropping off over the next few days. I mean, this weekend it was ~4lbs.

Some of this must be the extra food working its way through my gut, but I think some is due to swelling of the sore muscles. As the soreness goes away, so does the weight. Anyone else seeing this so reliably?

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Great job of tracking! You are learning your body's patterns. It's completely normal to fluctuate 2-5 lbs based on many factors.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Every weekend for the last several years. Saturday’s are typically my long run day. Also my biggest food intake day. My weight is up usually 5-8 pounds on Sunday (then drops over the week). I have more of a jump after races (12+ pounds for a half marathon or longer).
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Weekends are awesome, as I get to play with my husband and sometimes friends. Whether it is hiking, biking, sailing, kayaking, snorkeling...it sure isn't sedentary. And while I don't see the same spikes, I never lose so much as an ounce between Friday and Monday. Last week, I then proceeded to lose a pound a day for three days straight in the middle of the week. Wouldn't mind seeing that again, but this morning I was down a more reasonable half pound.
  • mcemino2
    mcemino2 Posts: 427 Member
    I am the same way. My weight generally is 4-5 pounds more on Monday morning, then drops off during the week. Overall trend is about a 1/2 pound less Saturday morning over the previous week.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Weekends are awesome, as I get to play with my husband and sometimes friends.

TMI? :D
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Last week, I then proceeded to lose a pound a day for three days straight in the middle of the week.

On a more serious note: this is exactly what's happening to me this week. 176.4 on Monday morning, 174.0 this morning. Where does it come from and where does it go...?

My main question (hard to determine) is what is the main effect 1) Amount of food, 2) effects of alcohol (although I'm not exactly binging), 3) too much salt (not really paying attention, but eating out more), 4) swelling due to exercise.

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited August 2019
    Probably swelling due to exercise and more salt/food.
    I always see a spike on Monday of up to 3lbs and its gone by Thu/Fri. Mine is food related, the only days I eat take out food so high sodium/carbs is what causes mine.
    This weekend there was one extra night of eating out - 6lbs gain! half is gone already, by Friday so will the remainder of that.
    Knowledge is power has always been my mantra, knowing its temporary means nothing to worry about.
    (I eat pretty low carb week days and high carb at weekends)
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    How much is each part is probably impossible to figure out.

Each g of carbs brings 4g water - so approx 110g carbs over and above your normal carb intake will lead to approx an extra pound of water. But then you need to account for how many of those carbs were during/before/used in activity.

Salt is a little harder to figure out because how much water retention depends on the balance with potassium-and also likely affected by activity and/or electrolyte replacements during/after activity.

For my 5-8 pounds I am up on Sunday AM, 3-5 of that is usually gone in the first couple of days, the rest slower over the rest of the week (although subject to additional fluctuations due to more workouts, weather, differences in intake, hormones, moon cycles, aliens...).

So I just make the global assumption that 3-5 pounds is due to additional food or water retention from carbs/salt (because it leaves quickly) and the remainder is for muscle repair (as I assume it takes longer to repair muscles-especially when I keep using them-than it takes for me to pee out a bunch of water.

I don’t drink so I don’t have any data points for alcohol.
  • eryn0x
    eryn0x Posts: 138 Member
    Last week, I then proceeded to lose a pound a day for three days straight in the middle of the week.

On a more serious note: this is exactly what's happening to me this week. 176.4 on Monday morning, 174.0 this morning. Where does it come from and where does it go...?

My main question (hard to determine) is what is the main effect 1) Amount of food, 2) effects of alcohol (although I'm not exactly binging), 3) too much salt (not really paying attention, but eating out more), 4) swelling due to exercise.

Yes, all of those things make you retain water, exercise included. When you exercise, your muscles hold wataaa. :)
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member

The only way to know for sure which of those 4 factors is the biggest impact is to spend a few weeks only doing 1-3. Then a few more weeks doing 2-4. Etc etc. Likely all of those things are impacting weight. I wouldn't bother identifying exactly how much unless you plan on changing/ eliminating the cause.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    It's most likely water retention as your muscle tears repair themselves.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member

Well, of course it's all of that. Does it really matter? Not really. Keep doing what you're doin' if the weight is stable long-term. :)
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I haven't been tracking well enough lately.

I usually get at least a little dehydrated on weekends, because I'm having too much fun. Get back to my car where I've left iced electrolyte water in magic insulated containers, and I'm sure I drink more water than I've lost in sweat. I'm just thirsty, so I drink; I think it takes a while to absorb and for thirst levels to catch up. And I crave all the salt, again probably because I've lost so much to sweat.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    c4hs7wqaupk0.png

There you go. Three very active weekends, three weight spikes. I'm relieved that they returned to normal each time. (Although the trend seems a bit up to me, too much good living in the summer!)

I really think this is due to swelling. It may be associated with creeping up on 60 years old!
  • RunnerGirl238
    RunnerGirl238 Posts: 448 Member

Water retention and inflammation due to muscle recovery. My long runs are on Sundsy and Mondays I am up by 3-5. Granted...I drink/eat dffierently on Friday and eat a lot more carbs on Saturday.
  • lapesadilla
    lapesadilla Posts: 67 Member
    I notice this too, especially with strength training or strenuous activity involving multiple muscle groups (rock scrambling etc.). It feels counterintuitive because you've been sweating and burning calories, but for a day or two after exercise I will be around .7-1.5 pounds higher than expected. You're exactly right that it's due to muscle swelling and fluid retention (I don't know about you, but after harder workouts my muscles will actually feel more defined to the touch, simply because of the water they are holding onto as they heal). Mild dehydration also often goes along with hard training (despite one's best efforts), and I find my weight always tends to spike for a couple of days after being dehydrated, probably due to compensatory water retention.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    I got a huge 3lb one from my long run on Saturday! It lasted two days then evaporated.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    I'm not logging/tracking that closely anymore, but back when I was racing I saw the same type of thing pretty routinely. Yes, a big race/workout/whatever will burn a ton of calories, but a huge post-race feed + sore muscles frequently led to big spikes on the scale that would level back out by mid-week.