Do I need 1200 calories?

2»

Replies

• debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    MFP says I have a 90 calorie deficit today. My Garmin says I have a 436 calorie deficit today. I am not sure what to do with this conflicting information.

your adjustment on MFP isn't your exercise calories, rather your activity level over what MFP has set for you and thinks you will burn for the day total with the deficit.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    ghudson92 wrote: »
    I do believe, and someone correct me if I am wrong, that if you are syncing an activity tracker for calorie burn then you should have your activity level on mfp set as sedentary. That way it just gives you what you need to survive, and your tracker adjusts those accordingly throughout the day. E.g I am 5"1 and my daily calories are 1300, but most days my garmin ups them to around 1400. Double check what I have told you though, but it has worked for me!

If you (1) use a linked activity tracker, and (2) slow negative calorie adjustments, it doesn't matter what your activity level is. The system will reconcile predicted with actual and adjust from there.

If course this is assuming your tracker is reasonably good at calories.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    ghudson92 wrote: »
    I do believe, and someone correct me if I am wrong, that if you are syncing an activity tracker for calorie burn then you should have your activity level on mfp set as sedentary. That way it just gives you what you need to survive, and your tracker adjusts those accordingly throughout the day. E.g I am 5"1 and my daily calories are 1300, but most days my garmin ups them to around 1400. Double check what I have told you though, but it has worked for me!

If you (1) use a linked activity tracker, and (2) slow negative calorie adjustments, it doesn't matter what your activity level is. The system will reconcile predicted with actual and adjust from there.

If course this is assuming your tracker is reasonably good at calories.

Yes in theory. But mfp will never adjust below 1200. I have times I should have a negative adjustment (that it won’t adjust) because it would put my goal below 1200. When maintenance calories aren’t very high and the actual calculated calorie goal for a deficit is below 1200, negative adjustments don’t work quite as well - especially if you need it to adjust for an entire activity level (all of which is happening below 1200 calories).
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    @middlehatch : thank you for your insights. My Garmin actually says I am in considerable deficit everyday. It gives me lots of exercise calories but when it syncs with MFP I seem to get very little in the calorie adjustment.

Thought I should follow MFP, but maybe I should follow what my Garmin is saying. Would make life much easier!! I would get more food and log more deficit each day. MFP seems to say my exercise is worth nothing. I see others logging huge calorie burns from exercise and see I do to when I log exercise in manually. But syncing with my Garmin result in MFP saying my exercise is worth very, very little.

I think the translation from Garmin to MFP might be due to your activity level settings in MFP. What did you choose? Sedentary, Lightly Active, Active, etc. I have a Garmin and my calories burned in MyConnect change when I adjust my activity level setting in MFP.