Trying to build muscle with body image problems!

Hey all! I’m currently trying to build muscle and to do so I have to “bulk” (hate that term), but I have some body image issues so the idea of eating so much more is stressful for me. Any advice, support, or insights?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Bulking/putting on weight can be quite a mind trip especially if you do have body image issues. My advice would be to take it slow, think about your goals and focus on the positive parts of it all... increased energy, strength, growing muscles (and less on the bit of fat gain and bloating, stretchy pants/outfits will be key!). I have run 3 bulk cycles with each one it gets easier since you see the results that follow. Fat will come off in the end once you cut... building muscle is the difficult part so keep your eye on the prize and you will get there.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Maybe take a recomp approach rather than a full-on bulk. Eat at maintenance and lift heavy. It will take longer, but it might be a start. Then transition into a slow bulk when you feel more comfortable with bumping up your calories.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    For a bulk you don’t have to eat so much more. 200-250 cals a day would give you a gain of 0.5lbs a week.

If you are really hesitant you could start with a recomp, see how you are progressing over a few months, and then either continue with a recomp or slowly move into a bulk.

Cheers, h.