Sodium and Weightloss

Options
I understand that eating too much sodium can temporarily stall the scale but if I am always in a calorie deficit but also always over in my sodium, will my weightloss never show on the scale? Or will it eventually drop off? I know it sounds like a dumb question. I don't plan on going over sodium everyday but am trying to get a general answer because I feel like I am constantly weighting sodium against calories.

Replies

• Veilleux311
    Veilleux311 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I think if you're always in a calorie deficit regardless of sodium intake then the weight scale stall would be temporary as long as less calories eaten remains the trend. . My trend is similar to yours where my calorie deficit continues daily but my sodium on most days exceeds the max limit under the MFP parameters. Are you staying hydrated with enough water? Salt binds to water but your body also needs plenty of H2O to assist with the chemistry of fat burning during your calorie deficits. During my current first 21 days using MFP I've noticed my disgusting amount of pre-calorie deficit salt intake has impressively declined when compared with this week's intake. Mostly due to a major shift in portion control and less processed foods but there's still work to be done in tweaking my food choices containing salt. You have a great post and that's not a dumb question you posted. Best of luck!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I understand that eating too much sodium can temporarily stall the scale but if I am always in a calorie deficit but also always over in my sodium, will my weightloss never show on the scale? Or will it eventually drop off? I know it sounds like a dumb question. I don't plan on going over sodium everyday but am trying to get a general answer because I feel like I am constantly weighting sodium against calories.

Look for weekly weight trends not daily fluctuations. Food, exercise, sleep, and a variety of other things can affect how much water we have in our bodies at a given time (which will reflect on the scale). Ignore the daily changes. Focus on patterns over weeks and months.

Good luck.