Dieting with IBS - 14 stone - Buddy Wanted

Options
Hi,
I am trying (again!) to get my weight down. I am currently 14st 3lb and wearing a size 14, I’d love to be Atleast a stone lighter and I’m aiming for a size 10/12.

I suffer from IBS and I am gluten intolerant so can only have small amounts of gluten if any at all. I have also noticed recently I’m getting side effects from dairy products too so would ideally like to cut out both of these.

Is there anyone else in my situation with any hints and tips? I’d also love a weight loss buddy to keep me on the straight and narrow!

Steph xx

Replies

• noel2fit
    noel2fit Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'm not currently trying to lose weight, but I have ulcerative colitis and have to watch my intake especially if I'm having a flare up or feel one coming on. Right now I'm pregnant and my UC tends to clear up and stay dormant during pregnancy, but I'm sure afterwards I'll be back to using my nutrition to try to keep my UC under control. I know figuring out caloric needs while dealing with IBS/IBD can be tricky since absorption varies. Happy to add you if you're looking for friends!
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Just recently discovered that breads were causing a lot of my and my daughter's IBS...I have a lymphatic cystic disease (that effects everything) and my daughter has Crohn's.

We decided to cut all starchy carbs (breads, rice, potatoes). So far... Much improvement.

But something else we have also discovered through elimination style dieting, not all dairy is equal. I found I have bloating and pain with reduced fat milk and products. But the whole fat creams (heavy cream, even half and half) don't bother me. Nor do the products like Kefir!

We do drink almond milk also, but mainly because we like the taste better than regular milk now.

IBS seems like trial and error. But since figuring out most sensitivities and intolerances... Life feels livable again!

Good luck!

• Ozpodge
    Ozpodge Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have Diverticular Disease and this makes dieting a bit difficult.
  • gt0186b
    gt0186b Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with IBS back when they still called it spastic colon. I suffered through it for years but in the last couple of years have figured out what works for me. I eat very little grains and try to stay completely away from highly refined carbs. I've also discovered that certain types of oils will set it off. I'm good with olive, avocado, coconut and peanut oils. I can have small amounts of canola and vegetable oils.