Placement

Options
mtndewme
mtndewme Posts: 724 Member
This bottle of wine I saw today reminded me of articles I've read on family placement and how it has shaped you in your life. There are traits that on average, you share with others who were born oldest /middle /youngest/only etc. What are your preconceived notions about each?

Replies

• nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I definitely have noticed that birth order seems to affect personality somewhat.
  • Cowsfan1
    Cowsfan1 Posts: 7,937 Member
    Options
    Hmm.. I’m not sure - I’m the younger brother - only 2 of us - but I often feel like the older sibling - kinda weird how that worked out
  • CaptainFantastic01
    CaptainFantastic01 Posts: 9,557 Member
    Options
    I was the oldest child and then my mom got married and I became the second youngest, which was a weird shift. I dunno. I don't have any notions about being either place though
  • mtndewme
    Options
    I think the youngest in a family tends to be more carefree where the oldest is generally more responsible. This is because older children typically have to babysit younger siblings and the youngest typically have a prolonged adolescence because the parents aren't having another child and they know that children grow up too fast so they live it up.
    I'm a middle child and the rhetoric is that you may be overlooked all together because you're not in a new or old placement. Though in my family I was treated as the oldest just from my personality so everything doesn't just go by the textbook so to speak.
  • mtndewme
    Options
    mtndewme wrote: »
    I think the youngest in a family tends to be more carefree where the oldest is generally more responsible. This is because older children typically have to babysit younger siblings and the youngest typically have a prolonged adolescence because the parents aren't having another child and they know that children grow up too fast so they live it up.
    I'm a middle child and the rhetoric is that you may be overlooked all together because you're not in a new or old placement. Though in my family I was treated as the oldest just from my personality so everything doesn't just go by the textbook so to speak.

i was youngest of 8 total and a couple sibs were full on psychopaths that kinda made my life hell so idk prolly depends on like personalities and family dynamic etc

That's rough. I can relate. I come from a family of five and two of those siblings are *kitten* crazy. I think these studies are done in a bubble.
    I read somewhere that the first few born are supposed to be bigger or more healthy than those born later because of the womb being young and fresh. My older brother may be stocky but the youngest brother is the tallest and not at all frail.
    Family dynamics are unique. Genetics are weird and I believe that I'm off topic...

• spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    I've had that wine, it is pretty good.