Net Carbs Math

Options
Now that I am transitioning to maintenance I am going to be putting more focus on net carbs and not total carbs. While I understand its total minus fibre, what I am not sure of is how to handle a food with zero carbs, but it has fibre (konjac rice and noodles). I eat this food four or five times a week, so I want to be sure I understand the math. As I make changes in my numbers, trying to find good maintenance eating, I think it’s especially important to be educated. Thank you

Replies

• ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    amckholmes wrote: »
    Now that I am transitioning to maintenance I am going to be putting more focus on net carbs and not total carbs. While I understand its total minus fibre, what I am not sure of is how to handle a food with zero carbs, but it has fibre (konjac rice and noodles). I eat this food four or five times a week, so I want to be sure I understand the math. As I make changes in my numbers, trying to find good maintenance eating, I think it’s especially important to be educated. Thank you

I agree with lemurcat2 - that label isn't showing total carbs, it's showing net carbs. Many countries show net carbs on their food labels. Whereabouts in the world are you?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,985 Member
    Options
    If you've been eating it 4-5 times per week, why not just keep doing what was working?

Net carbs only work if you actually know the net carbs. If you do, then correct the one you use (edit or enter a new food.)

Weight management isn't about carbs, it's about calories.

You could enter your own new food into the database with the "correct" carbs as you want them. That's the beauty of this site - a personalized for-you-only food database in your "MY FOODS."
  • amckholmes
    amckholmes Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thank you lemurcat2. I am in Canada, but none of the other packaging shows net carbs, so it hadn’t occurred to me.

cmriverside - I understand about calories being what impacts weight. As I am making this transition into maintenance I am trying to log everything very accurately so I can track the impact of changing my macros a bit as I increase my calories a little at a time. I have been eating low carb while losing weight and intend to stay low carb, but want to try adding a bit more to my diet. Having an accurate log allows me to properly find my true maintenance plan. So for me, weight management is also about carbs.