how often do you weigh yourself?

Options

Replies

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Find what works for you. I weight anywhere from daily to several times a week on the Libra app, which provides a trendline of my weigh ins. It smooths out the fluctuations and gives me a better sense of how I'm doing day to day. Once a week (usually Saturdays), I'll do an "official" weigh in first thing in the morning, naked, after using the bathroom to get as consistent a number as possible, which is what I'll log here. If weighing daily helps, do it. If it makes you anxious, then don't.
  • NoHookUpZone
    NoHookUpZone Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    For me it's just random. One day I " feel" lighter and other days I know I worked hard. Yet some days I'm lazy and tired and don't feel like stepping on the scale.
  • luaP852350
    luaP852350 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Daily, same time, after loo before getting dressed it's more for interest than anything else 👍
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Daily - keeping an eye on my weight trend is effective for me to maintain long term at my goal range.
    But you really need to put "effective" into personal context. My way is effective for me but might not be for you.

Sometimes I might also weigh myself before/after a long, hot or humid cycle ride as a guide to my rehydration needs.

It's just data to me, normal fluctuations don't bother me in the slightest because they are understood. Gaining weight after a holiday again doesn't bother me as I understand it's mostly temporary water weight - a combination of data and experience.

• apple7539
    apple7539 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had been avoiding the scale but a friend told me about the happy scale app to track trends. So I started daily weigh ins this week. Hope it keeps me mindful.
  • PiscesIntuition
    PiscesIntuition Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week. Works great for me! I bring it all week long and then, at the end of the week, I get to see just how intensely I brought it! If I’m satisfied, keep up with same intensity. If I’m not, I step it up!
  • CourierSixx
    CourierSixx Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Daily.
  • suzygoff51
    suzygoff51 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Once a week. I’ve seen the daily fluctuations enough to know what causes them. I have to focus on the bigger picture. Am I trending in the right direction despite the little blips. B)
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    daily, I learned my lesson, if I waited 2 or 3 weeks, there could be 10 pounds up, dont want that
  • Chatter_78
    Chatter_78 Posts: 3 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I'm the type of person that gets obsessed and overthinks, as well as gets frustrated, so I don't weigh myself anymore unless I see or feel a difference in my clothes. However, I just recently put my under a doctor's care for the weightloss because I was doing everything I could think of and not losing really anything, so for now on they will be the ones to weigh me.
  • fitnessformb1949
    fitnessformb1949 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Never. I can tell if I'm where I need to be by how my body looks and feels, and how my clothes fit. I am obsessive, and would not be able to handle the fluctuations of the scale. The goal for me can never be a number; it has to be about being toned and as strong as I can be. I've maintained the same size/toning level for years by doing a daily self-assessment that does not include a scale and a number. This is not for everyone, but it can surely help someone with a mindset like mine focus on the goals in a healthy manner.
  • steveyaworski
    steveyaworski Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Every morning I wake with enthusiasm to see if the night has wicked away from lbs or oz. I weigh myself and set my goal for the day according to what I see. I don’t get frustrated when the numbers are higher I get motivated to make good choices. If I fall away from that routine it is usually a sign that I am gaining because of indulging. Sort of not wanted to see the truth. Yet I come back and start it all over again.
  • Starliya
    Starliya Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I pretty much weigh myself every morning.
  • Anabirgite
    Anabirgite Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning when I can.. I am constantly surprised?!?!? But helps me be motivated. Don't get me wrong I hate the dread before I step on the scale, I truly never have any idea where it will land. But an informed decision is an empowered decision for me.

You need to do what is best for you...
  • AKDiscer
    AKDiscer Posts: 31 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Every morning after I go to the bathroom.

My Garmin app does a 7-day rolling average and other weight statistics graphed over time. It is much more accurate than once a week because of the fluctuation in weight day-to-day, especially if you're a female (menopause & monthly). Other factors might be stress or sodium intake which will make you retain water.

For instance, you could weigh yourself once a week on Sundays and be at 150 while loosing weight. The goal is to lose, for the sake of argument, 2 pounds. Mon, Tue, Wed. Thur, Friday, & Saturday might look like 149, 147, 148.1, 148.7, 149.1, & 149, respectively. This averages out to be 148.5.

Then, on Sunday, you step on the scale and see 150!

In your mind you've done nothing after sweating your *kitten* off ALL week and sticking to your diet! Psychologically, you're wrecked and then you binge on Netflix and Ben & Jerry ice cream. /sadface

Weight lose is NOT linear, it moves like a stock graph. So, if you're loosing weight or gaining weight, you should expect to see a trend going in the respective direction, assuming that your diet and exercise program are on point.

You're only tricking yourself by trying to ignore high and low points. The more data points you have, the more accurate your trend and future projections.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    On the 1st of every month
  • AKDiscer
    AKDiscer Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    AKDiscer wrote: »

My Garmin app does a 7-day rolling average and other weight statistics graphed over time. It is much more accurate than once a week because of the fluctuation in weight day-to-day, especially if you're a female (menopause & monthly). Other factors might be stress or sodium intake which will make you retain water.

For instance, you could weigh yourself once a week on Sundays and be at 150 while loosing weight. The goal is to lose, for the sake of argument, 2 pounds. Mon, Tue, Wed. Thur, Friday, & Saturday might look like 149, 147, 148.1, 148.7, 149.1, & 149, respectively. This averages out to be 148.5.

In your mind you've done nothing after sweating your *kitten* off ALL week and sticking to your diet! Psychologically, you're wrecked and then you binge on Netflix and Ben & Jerry ice cream. /sadface

Weight lose is NOT linear, it moves like a stock graph. So, if you're loosing weight or gaining weight, you should expect to see a trend going in the respective direction, assuming that your diet and exercise program are on point.

You're only tricking yourself by trying to ignore high and low points. The more data points you have, the more accurate your trend and future projections.
    AKDiscer wrote: »

The other thing to consider if you're watching your weight, especially losing a fair amount, you can make changes week by week to your diet. Every few weeks or monthly will slow your progress if you're wanting to be surgical about your weight loss.

If you're on maintenance, then you can loosen your grip a little, and perform said tasks less frequently.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Daily. I used to weigh once a week, but if you happen to be hanging onto water weight and don’t show a loss on the day you weigh it can be discouraging. I’ll sometimes go that long without a loss and then it whooshes out the next day.