What are your weight loss rewards?!

Options
I'm interested and curious to know what people are giving themselves as rewards? >:)

I really enjoy giving myself weekly rewards and my treat day is a Friday! So this reward is food, I just have to ensure I don't go mad. So I choose one food item I really want and I enjoy it!

I also have one large reward for when I lose my final 30lbs which is sort of a mini makeover.
A totally new hair do and a set of new gym clothes when I hit that goal weight!

What about you?

Replies

• GrizzledSquirrel
    GrizzledSquirrel Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is the only reward I need.
    Really.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I don't do cheat meals or anything. I have a few healthy snacks daily but that is it. I always stay within my calorie deficit and most my macros, and eat healthy 99% of the day. My reward is at the scale and mirror and feeling incredible.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    I get the need for some to try to incentivize losing weight but I think the repercussions of a transactional mindset, as others have mentioned, can be harmful and counterproductive. Whether it's with regard to weight loss milestone rewards, cheat/treat meals and/or days, or calories "earned" through exercise that sort of system and mentality don't support sustainable habits or solutions. In part, I think this is why we see so many return users and threads centered around how hard "maintenance" can be for some. Long term weight management is hard enough without the intrinsic motivation of seeing weight loss results, compounded by a weight loss journey buoyed by incentives and rewards and the void left when one crosses the proverbial weight loss finish line is even harder to navigate.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I have a weird "thing" with my weight loss rewards. I don't know how else to describe it. I keep changing a lot of my rewards up because I end up just buying the thing that I kept as a reward for another reason (like a birthday) so I could have it earlier. I would also change up rewards just as I hit them because I'd tell myself "well, that seems like too big of a reward for this goal". I also would change up rewards because I was excited about something else at the time, and would use the reward as an excuse to buy it immediately (changing my reward) rather than patiently waiting. I had a nintendo switch set for 40 pounds lost (my halfway mark) and now I'm 138 and I still haven't bought the switch. I kind of changed it up and picked up Habitica so that I could feel like I'm "spending" on rewards for good habits rather than the results. It feels a little better, we'll see how it goes. I still have my rewards up, but I don't think I've bought half the things on it.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I have a weird "thing" with my weight loss rewards. I don't know how else to describe it. I keep changing a lot of my rewards up because I end up just buying the thing that I kept as a reward for another reason (like a birthday) so I could have it earlier. I would also change up rewards just as I hit them because I'd tell myself "well, that seems like too big of a reward for this goal". I also would change up rewards because I was excited about something else at the time, and would use the reward as an excuse to buy it immediately (changing my reward) rather than patiently waiting. I had a nintendo switch set for 40 pounds lost (my halfway mark) and now I'm 138 and I still haven't bought the switch. I kind of changed it up and picked up Habitica so that I could feel like I'm "spending" on rewards for good habits rather than the results. It feels a little better, we'll see how it goes. I still have my rewards up, but I don't think I've bought half the things on it.

I've done the "habit rewards" thing in the past, but to make it work for me, it was more like a game. I would give myself a point every time I recognize myself doing something nice, then use these points to "buy" the reward I can afford or save for a bigger one (a bunch of things I wanted to which I assigned a point price). It was fun while it lasted, then I got bored of it, but it was the only way rewarding myself didn't affect me negatively because it was basically me going around my day telling myself "good job" every day several times a day, even on days when I didn't stick to my calories, so there were basically no "bad days".
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,491 Member
    Options
    Never food as a reward here.

Clothes that fit. Yeah, they may be to big soon but it’s worth it.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Terytha wrote: »
    I think people are missing the distinction between reward for weight loss, and reward for eating well. I don't eat a salad and then have a cake because I did good with the salad. That's silly.

Weight loss is hard effing work. Just like I'd reward myself for running a marathon or climbing a mountain, I reward myself for the hard work I put in to drop this weight.

When I'm at goal weight, I won't reward myself for maintaining. But I think it's good to recognize that the work put in right now is actually hard and major accomplishments deserve recognition.

Don't get me wrong, rewards can be helpful for some, they're just not helpful for me, personally. I think I must have explained myself wrong. When I set a reward "after X pounds I will buy that gaming controller I wanted", it's like I'm keeping it hostage. If I'm not "good", if some time passes and I don't lose weight because I need to put weight loss on pause, no controller for me. I don't deserve that controller unless I'm a good girl who eats well and loses weight. That's how my brain tries to flip it. It doesn't recognize that maintaining weight on a diet break is an achievement that should be recognized, not seen as "bad". A planned reward may also push me to not take that diet break when I need it or to try pushing for a larger deficit, which harms my diet.

The last part of my previous post was in reply to OP's mention of a weekly treat, which also isn't the best choice for me for the reasons mentioned.

I see what you're saying, but I think that's why rewards that are not things you would otherwise buy are OK.

So I guess it's more like I'm just talking myself into being irresponsible with money, which isn't great. But I think that while I'm teaching myself that I deserve to feel good in my skin, it's ok to teach myself that I deserve to occasionally treat myself.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options

I've done the "habit rewards" thing in the past, but to make it work for me, it was more like a game. I would give myself a point every time I recognize myself doing something nice, then use these points to "buy" the reward I can afford or save for a bigger one (a bunch of things I wanted to which I assigned a point price). It was fun while it lasted, then I got bored of it, but it was the only way rewarding myself didn't affect me negatively because it was basically me going around my day telling myself "good job" every day several times a day, even on days when I didn't stick to my calories, so there were basically no "bad days".

That's exactly what Habitica does. (: It helps me keep track to know I'm keeping up on my good habits (most of mine are related to self-care) and gives me gold each time, and you can even rank things from trivial to hard so you get more or less gold depending on the task. I also use it as a to-do list. You can then set rewards with a specific gold amount, and "buy" that item when you get enough gold.

h0izpee81wvb.png

I honestly get a bit of a high when I check something off that's been sitting there a while, or when I complete all my habits for the day.

• HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 2,000 Member
    Options
    I haven't really set up any "rewards" persay, but I have my big motivation that I decided is happening in 2020 and is no longer a "when I'm ready for it" goal, and that is I will be gridding up at the MotoAmerica (pro) races next year.

In order to do that, and not be embarrassed by my performance, I will absolutely need to be in the best shape of my life - and losing the weight comes along with that. Every 7 pounds I lose off my body accounts for a +1 hp for my bike - and I'm still carrying close to an extra 3 hp around my waist.

Of course there are other things that go along with that goal, from riding to financial to mental, but the daily routine, and doing what I need to do in the gym and staying off the couch is probably the most "daily" of all the things I need to work on.

Achieving this goal will be all the reward I need - there's a lot of hard work between here and there, but it will be SO worth it!
  • cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I never thought of it as a "reward", but I just enjoy shopping for and buying new clothes that now look good on me. I guess in a way, it's a reward, albeit a subconscious one...