5k Swimming Challenge

Would anyone be interested in joining me in a challenge to ultimately swim 5km? That's 200 lengths of my local 25m pool, which I reckon will be about an hour of swimming once I can sustain it for that long. I only got back into swimming a couple of weeks ago, not I'm finding it great for my mental wellbeing as well as for the muscles in my arms and upper body. I never feel to out of breath when I swim, and there's no yucky feeling of being sweaty, either :) I really like the idea of the Couch to 5k running challenge, but I'm not a fan of running at all. It occurred to me in the pool today that there's no reason I can't make up my own challenge to build up from my current 30 lengths (0.75km) to (eventually) 200 lengths (5km). I was hoping there might be some other swimmers on here who would be interested in doing the same? I'm going to try to make it less tedious over a longer swim by ordering this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B075DBCTX4/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_2?smid=A22BKOKNEQ424B&psc=1

Hope you can join in!

Replies

• LeiLaura
    LeiLaura Posts: 238 Member
    *but I'm finding it great :)
  • Lazy_Bones_85
    Lazy_Bones_85 Posts: 132 Member
    edited August 2019
    I don't have regular access to a pool so I can't join you in your challenge, but I agree, with building a plan to get you to swim longer distances. I guess to give your muscles a break while swimming, jogging in the pool could be your "walk" breaks and the swimming could be the running part of C25K? I guess you would have to adjust the time because it takes an hour to swim 5K whereas it would be closer to 30 minutes to run a 5K.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    That sounds like quite a challenge.

I'm a mediocre swimmer, having never gone farther than 4450 yds during my "not very straight" Ironman swim last summer. (IM swim distance is 2.4M or about 4200 yds). Doing the math, a 3.1mile swim would be about 5450yds.

So, at my modest 2:00/100yd IM distance pace, I expect it would take me roughly 108 minutes to complete the 5k distance. That's quite a bit of time in the water. Assuming you're more efficient than me, say a 1:40/100 swimmer, then you'd be finished in about 90 minutes. If your long distance pace is faster than 1:30/100, I'm very jealous, because you are becoming a fish! :)

While I'm not currently planning to build that kind of swim volume, it seems like a great way to build endurance without the pounding of running.

Good luck. Looking forward to reading your completion post!

• LeiLaura
    Haha, thank you! Perhaps I'm over-estimating what I can do! Still, it has a nice ring to it as a target :) Thanks for the input and moral support!
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    I don't have the time to join in, but I did want say that there appear to be a number of 5k swimming plans. I suspect most are aimed at open water swimmers, but you'll probably be spoiled for choice :)
  • Djproulx
    LeiLaura wrote: »
    Haha, thank you! Perhaps I'm over-estimating what I can do! Still, it has a nice ring to it as a target :) Thanks for the input and moral support!

It is very achievable with training, and it will be a great accomplishment. Go for it!
  • LeiLaura
    aokoye wrote: »
    I don't have the time to join in, but I did want say that there appear to be a number of 5k swimming plans. I suspect most are aimed at open water swimmers, but you'll probably be spoiled for choice :)

Thank you, I'll have a hunt!
  • LeiLaura
    Djproulx wrote: »

It is very achievable with training, and it will be a great accomplishment. Go for it!

Thanks, I will!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I got to 1 mile this summer which I thought was s great accomplishment! I don’t see 5k on the horizon at this moment, although I’d like to keep increasing. 1.5 is probably my next goal. I need small achievable goals although I understand some people thrive on mega goals! Have at it!! Keep us posted.
  • LeiLaura
    Thank you! I honestly don't know if I'll ever get to 5k, I'm going to start with a smaller goal (1k!) and increase them incrementally as I reach one. Why don't we say anyone can set their own distance goal for this challenge? Then we can all celebrate each other's success :)
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member

surprised you didn't tag me there @Djproulx ;)

i say go for it - i'm training for an ironman, but depending on how my shoulder is, i'm looking to do some longer open water swims next year - i want to do the Swim the Gorge 10k in Tennessee
  • LeiLaura

i say go for it - i'm training for an ironman, but depending on how my shoulder is, i'm looking to do some longer open water swims next year - i want to do the Swim the Gorge 10k in Tennessee

Oh, wow - 10k! Now that is ambitious :) Thanks for the support, and good luck with the ironman!
  • Djproulx

@deannalfisher, I've called you out several times in recent posts, so thought I'd give you a break.

With that said, I'd still like to draft behind you in my next Ironman swim. Perhaps next summer at Lake Placid or Mont Tremblant, mon ami? :)
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member

@deannalfisher, I've called you out several times in recent posts, so thought I'd give you a break.

With that said, I'd still like to draft behind you in my next Ironman swim. Perhaps next summer at Lake Placid or Mont Tremblant, mon ami? :)

I dunno - this flatlander don’t like hills! :) we’ll chat ;)
  • aokoye
    Thank you! I honestly don't know if I'll ever get to 5k, I'm going to start with a smaller goal (1k!) and increase them incrementally as I reach one. Why don't we say anyone can set their own distance goal for this challenge? Then we can all celebrate each other's success :)

Oh I think this is totally doable. If I wasn't already cycling and rowing I would totally do this challenge with you.
  • LeiLaura
    aokoye wrote: »

Oh I think this is totally doable. If I wasn't already cycling and rowing I would totally do this challenge with you.

Good luck with your own challenges!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    It's definitely a doable goal (so far my longest swim has been about 4KM) you might want to reconsider your pace though, you'd have to be matching a professional triathlete's pace over 1,900m to do 5K in an hour (the winner of the 70.3 at Mont Tremblant was swimming 1:16 / 100m which would still be a bit more than 60 min if you were able to sustain it over 5KM). Admittedly you can swim faster in a pool than open water (no chop, no current & pushing off the wall) I'm a so so swimmer and the best I've been able to do in the pool is just over 2:00 / 100m
  • LeiLaura
    Yes, I'm sure you're right! I worked out today that it would take me 200 minutes, assuming I didn't lose pace through fatigue! Maths never was my strong point :)
  • Djproulx
    Yes, I'm sure you're right! I worked out today that it would take me 200 minutes, assuming I didn't lose pace through fatigue! Maths never was my strong point :)

As your time in the water increases beyond 90 minutes or so, you'd probably benefit from taking in both hydration and nutrition during your swim to help maintain performance.

If you're in a pool, no problem, since you can store items on deck. If you choose to do an open water swim, then towing a floating buoy will allow you to store liquids and calories. :)
  • aokoye

As your time in the water increases beyond 90 minutes or so, you'd probably benefit from taking in both hydration and nutrition during your swim to help maintain performance.

If you're in a pool, no problem, since you can store items on deck. If you choose to do an open water swim, then towing a floating buoy will allow you to store liquids and calories. :)

It will also make you significantly more visible to other people who are sharing that body of water water with you which is a rather important safety issue. From a rowing shell, swimmers without buoys frequently don't actually look like people at first and thus don't look like things to be avoided.