Started exercising & the weight loss stopped...what gives?

Options
Hello all!

I thought I'd see if anyone has any input on this....

I was losing weight at a pretty good rate for a couple of weeks. I then started going to the gym or a jog about 4-5 times a week.

Since then (2 weeks at the gym) I haven't lost anything.

Is my body just freaking out because I started exercising? Maybe I need to start measuring myself?

Any thoughts would be great!

Replies

• ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Any new type of exercise causes your muscles to retain water in order to repair, it's completely normal to see no loss or even a small gain in the first couple of weeks during a new workout routine.

Also if you're eating your exercise calories + your goal calories (which you should be) you are consuming more grams of food now, which leads to more waste storage and naturally taking in more sodium which can cause some water retention.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    It's very likely a little water retention. Keep going, make absolutely sure you're in a calorie deficit (and make sure it's sensible), and eventually you'll probably see a quick loss of a good few lbs when the water flushes out.
  • VegeLover
    VegeLover Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about the number on the scale. How do your pants fit? Better? Then you're doing the right thing.
  • josywosy
    josywosy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info guys! I had noticed a change in the way my belt fit, but was still curious about the pounds.

I'll assume water retention and carry on! One less notch on the belt makes me happy! :smile: