I really over ate

Options
And I got on scale and it seems two days in and I still am 4 pounds higher then my weigh was before it happened. I over ate for two days idk by how much but it was a lot. I was celebrating with the family and I have been doing really well other wise. I am not upset or guilty about it but I am curious as to how long It will stay this high. I know there is no way I gained 4 pounds. Just wondering how long it takes for you to get back after a slip.

Replies

• Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    A few weeks ago I went 1000 over. It took about a week to drop back to normal. I lowered my sodium intake for that week, upped my deficit (within acceptable limits) and doubled my cardio.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    My weight can go up 4lbs overnight without over eating - our weight fluctuates daily, sometimes a lot.
    Just log it and move on - i.e get back to being consistently in calorie deficit.
    My weight spikes from higher sodium/carbs intake can last 5 days.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    don't fret, but get back on track and it will be like it never happened. My weight is all over the place in any given week but the long term trend is down.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    For me it depends on whether or not alcohol was involved. Without 3-5 days, with 7-8.

Yep, that^^
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    For me it depends on whether or not alcohol was involved. Without 3-5 days, with 7-8.

Exactly the same for me. 4-5 days without alcohol to "get back to even", and 7-8 days with.

Depending on the calories, sodium, carbs, and alcohol involved, the temporary gain can be anywhere from a couple of pounds to, in the most extreme cases I've had, 12 pounds. About half of the total comes off in the first 2 days, and the other half comes off in the remaining time.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    It took me a week for my weight to normalize after treating myself in Asheville, and I didn't even technically go over my calories. I just had a lot of extra from running the day before banked, and the food I was eating was much richer and saltier than I'm used to. Give it time.
  • Hyacinth_Hippo
    Hyacinth_Hippo Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    usually about 5-7 days of eating at a deficit for me, depending on how much I overate and how much of it was sodium
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I had a 460 calorie Wegman's premade meal recently (Singapore noodles with shrimp & chicken), stayed within my calorie limit for the day, and was up 3.6 pounds the next day. It took 3 more days to get back to even, and then a small woosh followed to give me all the weight loss I was owed for that whole chunk of time.

It had 1700 mg of sodium, which is right around my typical sodium intake for an entire day - in other words, very high relative to what I and my body's water-sodium balance are accustomed to.

That's all it takes to throw a scale off for a week. Totally worth it though LOL
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    My weight doesn't fluctuate much on a daily basis but if it's up a couple lbs., a good 60 minute run gets it back to where I want it to be, or lower. By weight, I mean scale weight. I think that's what we're talking about because it would be hard to eat enough food to gain 4 lbs. in a short period.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    It usually takes 4-5 days for me to work through a fluctuation like this, be patient and stay on your plan. These things happen and should be enjoyed, once you know what to expect you'll stop worrying.
  • nasr25
    nasr25 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I dont really regret it I would most likely do it again if the same situation came about but it rarely does so it was definitely worth is. Besides my journey is for the long haul and i am not a robot so i know i am gonna mess up a few times. The reason i asked is i keep track of my weigh on happy scale and i usually input everyday but since my weight suddenly increased i didn't want to just add that in and mess up my stats. I just wanted to see how long it took for other people before it finally settled in. I ate a lot but I would guess it was maybe a pound of weight gain if that.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    nasr25 wrote: »
    I dont really regret it I would most likely do it again if the same situation came about but it rarely does so it was definitely worth is. Besides my journey is for the long haul and i am not a robot so i know i am gonna mess up a few times. The reason i asked is i keep track of my weigh on happy scale and i usually input everyday but since my weight suddenly increased i didn't want to just add that in and mess up my stats. I just wanted to see how long it took for other people before it finally settled in. I ate a lot but I would guess it was maybe a pound of weight gain if that.

Happy Scale will show that your graphs and average went up, but that’s the whole point of Happy Scale. It helps you see how that blip does or doesn’t factor into your weight loss efforts.
  • nasr25
    nasr25 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    nasr25 wrote: »

Happy Scale will show that your graphs and average went up, but that’s the whole point of Happy Scale. It helps you see how that blip does or doesn’t factor into your weight loss efforts.

Oh well I didn’t know that lol. I guess I’ll just input it then thanks