B12 deficiency but rarely eat meat

Options
2»

Replies

• Chris144mph
    Chris144mph Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hi all I've finished the 6 loading doses & will now got another every 12 weeks(I may be able to get them every 8wks but that's dependent upon gp UK)
    The IF test was inconclusive but its my understanding that about half these tests are incorrect anyway.
    The receptionist let it slip that a b12 test in 2007 showed me as deficient then! Not happy.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with b12 deficiency. I was told when women are b12 deficient we don't absorb it through digestion. I was told b12 shots or b12 sublingual tablets were the best ways to go.

I take the sublingual tablets. They are cheaper and less hassle than the shots. One tablet a day, it tastes good, held under the tongue for a couple of minutes and goes straight into the bloodstream.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    People can lack the "intrinsic factor", so called because its intrinsic to the uptake of B12. Most people make this substance enzyme(?) naturally its in your saliva to coat the b12 on its way from the mouth to the point at which it is absorbed, I can't bring the name of the area to mind, I think it is close to the start of the small intestine.

I use "intrinsi B12" from a UK manufacturer. I've been working with a BANT, UK only nutritionist, so when one of the companies I was dealing with highlighted this product being added to its range, I did my research. I was stunned by the radical change it made to my health, I had known my immune system was severely compromised, it was as if a switch had been turned on. This was another "onion skin layer" removed on my way to much better health. I like going this way because I don't have to fit the permitted boxes to restore my health because the doctors I encountered have not been able to help.
  • ducatiroche
    ducatiroche Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs, milk and veg. I think it's called lacto-ovo vegetarian. Problem was, I consumed 3 eggs per day and half a litre of milk yet I was still b12 deficient. As soon as I started taking a b12 supplement I felt a lot more energetic and my doc seemed happy with the results.
  • RedAbilty
    RedAbilty Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Soy milk!!
  • Chris144mph
    Chris144mph Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    RedAbilty wrote: »
    Soy milk!!

...does not naturally contain B12.

Soy milk is often fortified with B12, but you need to check and make sure.

And has the unfortunate side effect of bloating with its own affects! Lol
    The Injections seem to have helped & the rash that appeared within 2 shots is now receeding but I'm going to research the sublingual drops for in-between shots.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Nutritional yeast is your friend. At least three serves a week will help you out

I went very high B12 using supplements like nutritional yeast with it added to the flakes.

If one is concerned about Vit D levels read up on MK4 and MK7 forms of vitamin K2 before using vit D3 supplements may be in order.
  • SoCalBeachWifeMom
    Options
    If you are a milk drinker switch to a 2% . Whole milk reduces the absorption of vitamins and minerals.
  • GordonMiller12nKi
    Options
    In addition to meat, vitamin B12 is found in seafood, milk and eggs.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Look into complete vegetarian proteins. These can help with the b12 problem. There are lots of different options and look into food combining. Quinoa and I believe black beans make a complete protein. Items like tofu, seitan, tempeh, fermented foods like kimchi, sauerkraut, kefir, nondairy yogurts, falafel balls with dairy free sour cream or tofutti cream cheese. Daiya products. Edamame. Different beans. Mix of different vegetable.
  • Beautyofdreams
    Beautyofdreams Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I am deficient in B12, vitamin D and iron. The B12 and iron deficiencies are a result of my long term kidney disease state while the vitamin D deficiency is the result of severe lactose intolerance. I receive B12 injections each month and take vitamin D and iron supplements daily under medical supervision along with required blood tests.
  • Pipsqueak1965
    Pipsqueak1965 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I work at a GP surgery and quite a lot of patients have regular b12 injections - you might be one of those.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    edited December 2021
    Options
    My daughter is one of those who is allowed 2 or 3 monthly b12 injections under the NHS, she finds the pills I mentioned earlier very beneficial because taking one she is saved from the tailing off between them. NICE the UK organisation which tells the NHS and government what is cost effective says its all anyone can have. As someone who is totally vegetarian and has been for 30 odd years the injection frequency hardly goes anywhere for her.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat much meat or seafood, you're going to have to eat B12 fortified foods and/or supplement.
  • GordonMiller12nKi
    Options
    In addition to meat, vitamin B12 is found in seafood, milk, and eggs. In fact, the list of foods that contain vitamin B12 is much more extensive. You can find this whole list on the Internet. This is publicly available information.
    My situation was more complicated. I am allergic, and I am allergic to most foods that contain vitamin B12. Of course, for this reason, I did not eat these foods, which led to a deficiency of vitamin B12 in my body. After consultation at the clinic https://mensclinictoronto.ca/, we concluded that the only solution to the problem in my situation is injections of vitamin B12.
    Now I feel much better, and I am full of energy.