Never give up

Options
firef1y72
firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
edited August 2019 in Fitness and Exercise
ij1ubw5uzlao.jpg
So for the last year I've wanted to do box jumps. But it's something i have never managed to master, it was never actually beyond my ability, so much as a full on mind block.

My PT had me trying to get past the block. I started by jumping on a step, then squat jumping up a flight of stairs. Slowly increasing the height of the step I was jumping on in my homework. Squat jumping up the stairs without standing up between jumps.....

Still I couldnt get over that block. Then my local gym got an indoor tyre...its a couple of inches lower than my PT's box. And I had an audience...so I didn't have a choice but to try.
First jump was more of a quick step up/jump hybrid, but I didn't fall. Next was an actual jump....then I managed 3 without stopping.
Now I can do sets of 10 on to the tyre and can do the step up/jump hybrid on to the PT's box

Replies

• nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    congrats, very inspiring!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Nice progress through training.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    That is just so inspiring for me, @firef1y72.

I have some kind of mind block going on with jumping too, enough that it can get me and my DiL in fits of giggles when I try it.

Going to start really low, a 2x4 (haha), and work from there.

Heck! I may start with skipping just to get both legs jumping in the air together.

Cheers, h.

• firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    @middlehaitch
    I literally started with just the bit of the step you put on the risers, so maybe 2 inches, then put one set of risers on, then 2....
    Meanwhile my PT had me working on explosive power by jumping up flights of stairs.
    You will get there and the feeling when you do is unbelievable. Someone videoed my first ever successful jump and the smile on my face said it all.

Oh and our new challenge is pull ups, so far I'm managing 5 or 6 trx pull ups without stopping
  • pro31wahine
    pro31wahine Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Love it :)
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    @firef1y72, I read your training journals regularly and am always impressed with your training discipline and workout volume. Congrats on conquering box jumps. About a dozen years ago, I would work up to 36 inch height for 5 rep rounds and know the joy of leaping to new heights. Keep up the good work.
  • jnomadica
    jnomadica Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Amazing!!
  • MohsenSALAH
    MohsenSALAH Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    It is never too late,
    Inspiring thread loved it
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Great stuff! I am not sure I could (yet) do such a jump. When I first started with PT my trainer suggested in week 1 that I step up onto a box while holding dumbbells. I discovered that I could not even get up there without dumbbells. Not a hope! Now I can.

Later on he suggested we try a Turkish get up (no weight). That was a no-no too. It took me a year of practice to be able to do the whole thing (the bridge was the sticking point) but now I can do them balancing a yoga block on my fist (to practise balance) and also with a light weight.

I have gone from being scared of weird and wonderful exercises to being actively happy when I find something else I can't do, as it gives me a new challenge.

So, yeah. Never give up. And never worry about looking like an idiot while you are trying to master something new.