Role Models & Inspirational Figures

Just wondering who people see as role models and inspirational figures in their own personal battles to get fitter and what sort of physical shape they want?
For me, I would say from the world of professional sport, it has to be Roger Federer, late 30’s, lean/toned and still playing tennis at a very high standard. From the world of ‘mortals,’ it has to be a great guy at my squash club, Neil Wilson, nearly 80yrs old, lean/toned, highly active and still playing squash to a good standard. He is fitter than a lot of younger people. Really looks after himself. Inspirational.

Replies

• alybelcz
    alybelcz Posts: 2 Member
    I enjoy content from WBFF pros Lauren Simpson and Holly Baxter and their significant others. They are incredible athletes but also seem down to earth and no bs.
    Locally, I feel motivated by everyone in the gym. I love seeing people of all types working hard and just trying to improve.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,507 Member
    Two of of my role model/mentors are right here on MFP (though they would both eschew the 'mentor' label)
    @Seanaanderson and @tinkerbellang83
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Mi mam. At 92 she is still independent, only med is for acid reflux, and she is as healthy as an ox, except she is becoming a little scatterbrained.
    I’ll go for that any time.

On mfp quiksylver296, she keeps me lifting. (Not a drooly, stalky, or wanting to compete thing)

Famous folk, I’m old, I’ll go for Jamie Lee Curtis and Judy Dench- active minds, active bodies.

An over 60 athlete doesn’t inspire me because I don’t aspire to be one, well balance is all I want.

I think I’m pretty shallow.

Cheers, h.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    aziz_n1 wrote: »
    Just wondering who people see as role models and inspirational figures in their own personal battles to get fitter and what sort of physical shape they want?
    For me, I would say from the world of professional sport, it has to be Roger Federer, late 30’s, lean/toned and still playing tennis at a very high standard. From the world of ‘mortals,’ it has to be a great guy at my squash club, Neil Wilson, nearly 80yrs old, lean/toned, highly active and still playing squash to a good standard. He is fitter than a lot of younger people. Really looks after himself. Inspirational.
    • Role model: My late maternal great-grandfather who lived 'til the age of 107; He keeps me on course.
    • Physical shape: Maintaining my body fitness and aesthetics is where I am, sitting within the body fat percentage I much prefer for myself, where it's not a big to-do to tighten up more when I need to, event specific.

Inspiration-relevance and its source always has been Family for me. Working out was our family activity and our favourite family quality time. Before MFP and now, my sister (ie @777Gemma888 ) motivates me enough, where I can't skip my portion-share of our commitment to our routines in the AM or evening, to not let us down. Reflecting on it, having only just committed that last sentence, I enjoy it especially too now, because it helps me feel closer to our late Dad.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    k8eekins wrote: »
    aziz_n1 wrote: »
    • Role model: My late maternal great-grandfather who lived 'til the age of 107; He keeps me on course.
    • Physical shape: Maintaining my body fitness and aesthetics is where I am, sitting within the body fat percentage I much prefer for myself, where it's not a big to-do to tighten up more when I need to, event specific.

Inspiration-relevance and its source always has been Family for me. Working out was our family activity and our favourite family quality time. Before MFP and now, my sister (ie @777Gemma888 ) motivates me enough, where I can't skip my portion-share of our commitment to our routines in the AM or evening, to not let us down. Reflecting on it, having only just committed that last sentence, I enjoy it especially too now, because it helps me feel closer to our late Dad.

This is me too in a nutshell, but for K8eekins and I adding the tweaks to our workouts, eating and beverage adherence suggested by @Bojack5 who is a living testament to a fit, capitalistic, productive and disciplined life. His life is inspirational to me and my family, who are apt to acknowledge trailblazers and outliers from the 'hood to wealth, whilst maintaining his quality of health, athleticism, still active in fitness (turned professional in his field), and even allocating his time to philanthropic pursuits. As a family, we tend to be polarized - one focus at a time. For @Bojack5, all his interests are priorities. Seemingly, no second seat warmers. That is inspirational.