Pelvic Stress Fractures - Hope for Healing and Recovery

Options
mytyglotz
mytyglotz Posts: 1,804 Member
edited August 2019 in Motivation and Support
Howdy, Folks!!

I have battled osteoporosis for a few years now. Over one year ago (August 2018), I was diagnosed with a stress fracture and needed to take a hiatus from my humble jogging routine. My recent MRI screening shows that it is healing (thankfully -but I predicted it to be completely healed by now!), but the bad news is that it shows another stress fracture in the left hemisacrum. This means I need to take another minimum of 12 weeks away from physical activity, which I already have done since my first injury. The closest thing to "exercise" I performed was walking -- only three to four miles, three to four times per week -- and even that causes some pain now.

I'm not seeking medical advice here -- fortunately I have a personal physician with whom I am counseling (although I welcome any scholarly advice or helpful resources from y'All that I can pass by my medical care team!); I just feel I need some support and testimonies from people who might have experienced or might be experiencing something similar. I don't expect any false hope; I admit that I feel defeated and disheartened about this valley I'm in. I am trying to count my blessings -- they might be weak right now, but I have legs! -- but I also fear that I won't ever use them like I used to. Not only am I afraid of osteoporosis, but I'm also concerned about my other body systems (cardiovascular, respiratory, metabolic, muscular, etcetera) degenerating after being sidelined from physical activity for an extended time.

If anyone can relate or offer any words of wisdom, I would appreciate it beyond adequate expression.

Thank you. Be well. And be of great cheer!!

Replies

• Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I am sorry for what you are going thru. Have you discussed with your doctor the newest treatments for osteoporosis designed to increase bone density and reduce the chance or the frequency of fractures? The new treatment are injectables done twice a year and they would not upset the upper GI like Fosamax used to do. ( https://www.jwatch.org/fw112829/2017/05/01/new-injectable-osteoporosis-drug-approved)

For weight control weighing and logging your food in MFP is the best way to go. As far a physical activity, you can ask your GP if he would recommend working out in the poll doing aqua exercises and using water weights (I think that the brand is Speedo). What about a stationary bike and/or a shoulder bike? Both equipment and exercises are low impact and could help you with flexibility and strength.

Best of luck and a prompt recovery.

• zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    my mother used to take fosamax. her osteo improved a lot.

can you do chair exercises? ask your doctor. a stationary bike is also a great idea - maybe a recumbent?

best of luck to you!
  • beginning56
    beginning56 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I also have been diagnosed with osteoporosis. They found it because I had a fracture in my back. As other people have recommended, there are medications out there. I don't know if they do anything for me as I have not had another bone scan since. I do know that weight bearing exercises are supposed to be the best-so walking is great exercise! I was told that dancing is good too. I recently tried a zumba class. I have to really modify it because all that twisting and jerking is not good, but just to move is a good thing. I know how disappointing having this is-I think about it everyday, but I'm just trying to be as active as I can.