Low Fiber/Low Residue Diet Advice Needed

I'm on a low fiber diet for recurrent colitis and I'm frustrated because it is so hard to eat healthy on this diet. This is the opposite of how I usually eat & I had to stop eating all my whole grain, high fiber, fresh fruit & vegie foods.
Does anyone have any tips? Recipes?

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    apullum wrote: »
    Ask your doctor for a referral to an RD who specializes in diets for your medical condition.

Second this ^ ^ ^

Having had to eat a low residue diet on a temporary basis (pre stomach surgery and colonoscopy prep) one thing that stood out was that you can still get many veggies in, you just have to cook them first. An RD can give you better info as to what you should avoid and what cooking methods are best.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    apullum wrote: »
    Ask your doctor for a referral to an RD who specializes in diets for your medical condition.

Third this ^^^^^
  • pixilated1
    pixilated1 Posts: 9 Member
    I hadn't thought of seeing a registered dietician. Thanks!
  • pixilated1
    pixilated1 Posts: 9 Member
    The one page sheet that I was given for the diet gave a list of the allowed & not allowed foods but didn't give menu suggestions or recipes. I've googled the diet & found conflicting recommendations, of course.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Oh, well if you have the food items, it should be easier to find recipes.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,940 Member
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    Oh, well if you have the food items, it should be easier to find recipes.

Yeah, go to AllRecipes.com They have a feature where you can input the ingredient (so, your list of foods) and it will suggest recipes.

Other than that, you have to do what everyone on the planet does, and that's come up with meals that fit your particular tastes and medical condition(s).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    pixilated1 wrote: »
    The one page sheet that I was given for the diet gave a list of the allowed & not allowed foods but didn't give menu suggestions or recipes. I've googled the diet & found conflicting recommendations, of course.

Sounds like you would still benefit from the referral to a dietitian.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    pixilated1 wrote: »

Sounds like you would still benefit from the referral to a dietitian.

Agreed. A dietician will take that page of information and guide you into all kinds of ways to put it into practice. They will likely have access to all kinds of resources like online recipes specifically for people with colitis.