Why bother with Net carbs on Keto?

Options
Hi!
I’m completely new to ketogenic diet, and decided to give it a shot. So it is advised to follow 70% calories from fats, 25% calories from protein and 5% from carbs of your total daily calories to reach ketosis. 5% carbs figure is total carbs. Why do some go through the trouble of counting net carbs? If you were to use net carbs instead of total carbs the math would not add up. Am I missing something?

Replies

• Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Yes, Under nutrients it gives fiber. It's easy to subtract fiber from total carbs.

If I didn't count net carbs, eating Keto, I wouldn't be allowed any fruits or veggies. (On Keto it's suggested to get majority of carbs from low carb veggies and fruits). And the difference is huge.

I eat veggies and fruits with almost every meal. And snack on fruits. My daily carbs are usually around total 50 grams, subtract my 35 grams of fiber, leaving my actual digestible sugar grams of carbs at 15 grams net.

I use the number of grams from the macro goal for proteins and fats, but not so much attention to the carbs and the percentages.

I try to shoot for broader ranges:
    65-75% fats
    15-25% proteins
    5-10% carbs

My carb goal is to stay under 20-25 net carbs daily (which is pretty typical for ketoers).

I recommend joining the Keto group and the Low Carber Daily Forum group on MFP.

Lots of tips, advice, recipes, and active discussions.