Suggestions on creating a Spin workout with music

HilTri
HilTri Posts: 378 Member
Hello all,
I have been asked to teach spin classes (group cycle). The class is completely freestyle teaching and I am used to prechoreographed. Should I pick the music first or the workout. Any suggestions on what music apps to use! I currently have Yes! Go, Spotify, and Pacemaker. I have a week to come up with two hour long classes. Any suggestions would be helpful! Thank you.

Replies

• TheChristianSimone
    TheChristianSimone Posts: 156 Member
    I may be fat by my profile pic but I did get Swinn certified before I regained. I remember very much that you want to create your workout and then find the music that will get you the results you want if its a speed drill or if it's an endurance one or mix. I find I can hear a song and then start create a workout in my head or at least hear a song and think man this would make a great speed attack type drill. I so hope after I lose I can find a gym to work in on the side as cycle is so fun. I have Apple Music which is a joy and best 10 spent a month since I can get pretty much anything I want new or old.
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    I usually participate in Les Mills classes - is this what you usually teach? I would probably go with a similar format. Warm up, speed work, peak / climbing, jumps, speed, climb... (I think I'm missing one!) something like that?

I have had a fill in teacher that did freestyle and one of the songs he used was "Sweet Caroline" which weirdly worked! I would chose the workout first. And do you need to be wary of copyright? If not then go with Coldplay, Rhianna, Pink, etc. I actually use some of these in my running playlists because they work well.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,805 Member
    naomi8888 wrote: »
    I usually participate in Les Mills classes - is this what you usually teach? I would probably go with a similar format. Warm up, speed work, peak / climbing, jumps, speed, climb... (I think I'm missing one!) something like that?

Speaking as an experienced outdoor cyclists, she could easily skip the jumps ... all spin instructors could skip the jumps. They're awful.

The good spin classes I've been in usually do something like ...

Warm up, Speed work leading into a sprint or two, Climbing, Easy spin, Climbing, Speed work with a bit more of an endurance element, Cool Down, Stretching and possibly also ab work.

HilTri wrote: »
    Hello all,
    I have been asked to teach spin classes (group cycle). The class is completely freestyle teaching and I am used to prechoreographed. Should I pick the music first or the workout. Any suggestions on what music apps to use! I currently have Yes! Go, Spotify, and Pacemaker. I have a week to come up with two hour long classes. Any suggestions would be helpful! Thank you.

A 2-hour spin class is incredibly long!! I think the longest I've been able to find is 60 minutes and that's rare ... most are about 45-50 min. The longer ones usually have included ab work either in the middle or at the end.

One of the ways one of my spin instructors filled her 60 minutes was to have a long climb to the long version of Hotel California. That worked ... and since I love standing and "climbing" on spin bikes (but don't like it in real life!!), it was my favourite part of the class. :) Ravel's Bolero might work as well.

Don't be afraid to include a whole variety of music, especially if you've got a class with a wide age span. Just about anything with a clear beat will work.

Have a listen to the Torreador's March from Carmen, You Spin Me Right Round (Dead or Alive?), Wizards in Winter (TSO), Wipe Out (The Surfaris?), The Twist (Drifters, etc.), Six Days on the Road, Whenever Wherever (Shakira) ... :)
  • naomi8888
    Machka9 wrote: »

Speaking as an experienced outdoor cyclists, she could easily skip the jumps ... all spin instructors could skip the jumps. They're awful.

Warm up, Speed work leading into a sprint or two, Climbing, Easy spin, Climbing, Speed work with a bit more of an endurance element, Cool Down, Stretching and possibly also ab work.

Hello all,

A 2-hour spin class is incredibly long!! I think the longest I've been able to find is 60 minutes and that's rare ... most are about 45-50 min. The longer ones usually have included ab work either in the middle or at the end.

One of the ways one of my spin instructors filled her 60 minutes was to have a long climb to the long version of Hotel California. That worked ... and since I love standing and "climbing" on spin bikes (but don't like it in real life!!), it was my favourite part of the class. :) Ravel's Bolero might work as well.

Don't be afraid to include a whole variety of music, especially if you've got a class with a wide age span. Just about anything with a clear beat will work.

Have a listen to the Torreador's March from Carmen, You Spin Me Right Round (Dead or Alive?), Wizards in Winter (TSO), Wipe Out (The Surfaris?), The Twist (Drifters, etc.), Six Days on the Road, Whenever Wherever (Shakira) ... :)

No, it's two x one hour spin classes. Re jumps, you'll never please everyone but I think jumps and running fast are good for something different. Also sitting far back in the saddle, etc to engage different muscles.

Also with music, you can't wrong with Avicii.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,805 Member

Hello all,

No, it's two x one hour spin classes. Re jumps, you'll never please everyone but I think jumps and running fast are good for something different. Also sitting far back in the saddle, etc to engage different muscles.

So what are jumps good for?

The only answer I've had when I've asked that question came from someone who had never ridden a bicycle outside and she told me that all bicycle racers need to do jumps regularly to train for races ... for when the bunch surges.

Um ... no.

In fact ...

https://www.indoorcycleinstructor.com/icipro-instructor-training/instructor-tips-and-tricks/a-usa-cycling-coach-on-to-jump-or-not-to-jump/

"In summary, jumps (as Spinning and Schwinn) define them, should never be
    done on an indoor bike. There are some dangers and misconceptions that can
    help instructors understand why this is not an appropriate technique."

Personally, if an instructor chooses to include them, I simply remain standing. Thankfully, it's my class, I've paid for it, so I can do whatever I know won't damage my knees. :)
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,386 Member
    Though I don't spin, I'd agree on figuring out the workout first, then finding the music that works with it. Many sites now show beats per minute, so that might take some of the guesswork out of the music vs cadence part of things.

I'd also think that the overall average ages and music related demographic of the group should be a factor. Music that is too far from familiar with a lot of the group might leave them less enthusiastic, especially if there is music more "mainstream" that crosses genres and is known by many of different age groups.
  • HilTri
    Wow! Thanks for all the feedback! I bought some apps that allow me to use their music. I personally loathe jumps ESPECIALLY the 4 second ones, I usually sit those out. I am Les Mills certified but can’t use those workouts due to liscensing. I guess my huge concern is getting the beat right on, or maybe it doesn’t have to be right on for the whole track. I am not a DJ although I am learning!
  • PennyP312
    PennyP312 Posts: 161 Member
    I spin 2-3x a week for last 15 years or so. I love it for cardio. That being said, I personally like spin classes that have fast paced music where the ride follows the beat.
    I would pick a few songs you like and a few specific goals for the class and mesh them together.
    I find it so boring when an instruction tells u to run up hill (or sprint etc.)to a slow song 😴
    You’ll do great!
  • naomi8888

Hello all,

So what are jumps good for?

The only answer I've had when I've asked that question came from someone who had never ridden a bicycle outside and she told me that all bicycle racers need to do jumps regularly to train for races ... for when the bunch surges.

Um ... no.

In fact ...

https://www.indoorcycleinstructor.com/icipro-instructor-training/instructor-tips-and-tricks/a-usa-cycling-coach-on-to-jump-or-not-to-jump/

"In summary, jumps (as Spinning and Schwinn) define them, should never be
    done on an indoor bike. There are some dangers and misconceptions that can
    help instructors understand why this is not an appropriate technique."

Personally, if an instructor chooses to include them, I simply remain standing. Thankfully, it's my class, I've paid for it, so I can do whatever I know won't damage my knees. :)

Personally, I see a lot of people with terrible technique throughout the whole class so this isn't my main concern for them. As I said, you won't please everyone all the time. If you choose to remain standing then good for you :)
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited August 2019
    There are a lot of apps that help you sort music out by BPM. I used them a lot when I created my playlists.

Personally, having done Spinning for years (though I don't do it any longer), I really appreciated instructors that did Rhythm riding (to the beat of the music). Classes that didn't were just God awful.

https://www.verywellfit.com/pacedj-app-review-3435850
    https://www.bpmdatabase.com/music/
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
    Hello all,

This is not intended to be a criticism of you at all but rather management. Expecting you to figure it all out on your own seems really odd. Sure, some of your Les Mills experience will translate, but still...

It's like expecting me, a certified yoga teacher with some dance training, to be able to put together a barre or zumba class...
  • HilTri
    Thanks guys. I bought Yes!go and Spotify to help me out. They list the BPM’s and you can even adjust the BPM to what you need. I love Les Mills. They go to such great lengths to choreograph and the music is spot on. The problem is that I want to create something on par with Les Mills. I just need to put something together and lower my expectations of myself for this first workout!