PCOS: nutrient targets?

Hi - I've got PCOS and trying to make changes to my diet to help with it, and the insulin levels. I'm worried about the diabetes risk and also fertility. I am lucky that I am not overweight, I want to maintain my current weight.
I know I need to eat more fibre and protein, less sugar and starch. But does anyone have recommendations for where I should set my MFP targets?

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Welcome to the community! <3

If you haven't already, read the stickies at the top of the getting started forum. Very informative and helpful.

I'm a type 1 adult onset diabetic. I eat a pescatarian diet which is plant based with seafood, eggs and some dairy. I got myself off insulin and stayed off. Recent bloodwork results showed normal range on all.

Good luck with your journey!
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Some PCOS patients do well on a low carb and/or low GI diet. This is because for most people, PCOS is linked to insulin function, so dietary recommendations for diabetics can be useful for folks with PCOS too. Assuming that your insulin function has been tested (which your doctor should have done) and you've been diagnosed with insulin resistance, that seems like a good place to start.

Not all people with PCOS are insulin resistant, however. If you aren't, then it's worth asking your doctor whether a diabetic diet would still be beneficial to you. In addition, a lot of PCOS nutrition guidelines assume that the patient is overweight or obese. Recommendations may change for someone who is in their optimal BMI range.

It's hard to give exact macro percentages because there is not a "standard" for PCOS patients. It will vary depending on the approach you/your doctor are taking. If your doctor recommends a low carb diet, that's going to look different macro-wise from a low GI diet. In addition, if you're very active, then your doctor might support eating more carbs.

I would recommend asking your doctor for a referral to an RD who specializes in PCOS and who can advise based on your needs.

For me, weight loss and exercise have been extremely successful in managing my PCOS. I did not make any dietary changes other than being in a calorie deficit. I don't eat low carb or low GI. However, I was also only borderline insulin resistant, I'm very active, and I have no desire to get pregnant. Dietary needs for others with PCOS would be different.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    I'd recommend seeing a registered dietician who specializes in PCOS. My wife did that, and even though she definitely doesn't follow her nutritionists plan to the level, it gave her a base and direction ik which to go.
  • lstewart318
    lstewart318 Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you all for your thoughtful replies! I'll consider seeing a nutritionist, I think that would be a good step.
    My doctor didn't say much about diet and there are so many things I now wish I had asked during the appointment. I feel guilty about taking up more of her time just to ask for tips.
  • Pamela_Sue
    Pamela_Sue Posts: 563 Member
    Thank you all for your thoughtful replies! I'll consider seeing a nutritionist, I think that would be a good step.
    My doctor didn't say much about diet and there are so many things I now wish I had asked during the appointment. I feel guilty about taking up more of her time just to ask for tips.

1. Never feel guilty about taking up their time. Write down your questions and either ask for a follow-up appointment, or ask these questions whenever your next appointment arises.
    2. A registered dietitian (RD) is different than a nutritionist, at least in the US. Almost anyone can claim to be a nutritionist. So you will want a referral to a RD. I see a RD for my diabetes; she specializes in diabetes education and has the time to answer so many of the questions I would have had for my doctor. So ask for an RD specializing in PCOS.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,881 Member
    Another vote for a referral to a registered dietitian (RD).