Those with chronic illness/pain trying to get fit.

Hi, I was hoping we could start a thread for those of us who have chronic illness or pain and are trying to get active, in shape, and/or lose weight. I have a few diseases which make it difficult to work out or expend lots of energy and have been trying my hardest to keep my step count up & keep my exercise sessions going. Please feel free to contribute, check in or add motivation to this thread.

Replies

• shelaghcol
    shelaghcol Posts: 165 Member
    I thing a lot of it is due to fibromyalgia.
    Going for a podiatrist appointment to try to figure out the problem with my ankles. The weird thing is that out of the blue back in January my right elbow went ballistic - took almost two weeks to find out it was tennis elbow - tendinitis. And it took over six months before I could do most things without problems. Still get a lot of pain, but it's at least easier to handle.

My PCP thinks the ankle thing might be tendon-related as well. Expect that both of them are giving me problems - which is unusual.

Last week I was in the middle of feeding my cats when I had a horrible spasm across my back. Took about three days for it to subside completely.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    I don't have any physical disability, but I've cared for people who do. I thought I'd leave this here, because they're often suitable for people who struggle with exercise.

Armchair cycles.

p9vkt2fg2e1x.png
    tjpb3uvyt81i.png
  • Hilogirl2018
    Hilogirl2018 Posts: 687 Member
    @shelaghcol I was wondering if you'd ever been tested for a connective tissue disorder because a lot of what you're describing is common to CTDs. I have a CTD called Ehlers Danlos Syndrome Syndrome hypermobility type and one of the ways it manifests is through joint and tendon problems. It's hereditary, but it's not unusual to get to a certain age without too many symptoms and suddenly fall apart.

Another possibility: if you've been treated with ciprofloxacin, it has a black box warning for tendon rupture.
  • shelaghcol
    @Hilogirl2018 - I actually prefer not to use chemical meds unless absolutely necessary. The back spasm it was unavoidable - I could barely move and had to take ibuprofen twice in one day. After that, the pain was bad but bearable.

I've never heard of CTD, but no one else that I'm aware of in my family has had the problems I've been having.
  • shelaghcol
    @glovepuppet Thanks, I have been considering those. It's the cost more than anything that stalls me on such things.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    i have behcets and hypersomnia.
    the way i look at it, my body overreacts to pain stimulus. so a lot of times, i will suck it up.
    the more i move(within reason), the better i feel. but not pushing too hard is vital
  • PuppetStringsArt
    PuppetStringsArt Posts: 4 Member
    I think this thread is a great idea!

(@Hilogirl2018 I also have HEDS. Found out about it this year while I was pregnant with my daughter and my whole life of complications made sense afterwards.)

I also have a benign pituitary gland tumor that causes a lot of health problems when it’s acting up. I’m almost done with the bulk of my 2 year weight loss journey, but could use some friends that are trying to better or maintain their health long term even after initial goals are met.
  • Iamfocusingonme
    Iamfocusingonme Posts: 15 Member
    Hello, I also have multiple medical issues that make losing weight and exercising more difficult. I have been trying to figure out how to get the weight down without surgery for a few years as it continued to grow. Im now here to make a change in my calories and the nutritional value of my food.
  • HazelMayes
    HazelMayes Posts: 187 Member
    @shelaghcol I was wondering if you'd ever been tested for a connective tissue disorder because a lot of what you're describing is common to CTDs. I have a CTD called Ehlers Danlos Syndrome Syndrome hypermobility type and one of the ways it manifests is through joint and tendon problems. It's hereditary, but it's not unusual to get to a certain age without too many symptoms and suddenly fall apart.

Another possibility: if you've been treated with ciprofloxacin, it has a black box warning for tendon rupture.

I also have hEDS—almost eight years ago I also severed my left ACL so my knee is even more unstable now—makes it hard to get around!

• Hilogirl2018
    Hilogirl2018 Posts: 687 Member
    Already 3 EDSers in this little group! @PuppetStringsArt I had the same experience, diagnosed fairly recently and now my whole life of pain makes sense! @HazelMayes knees are so tough with EDS. My mobility is more affected by my hips. I find my rollator to be a huge help!

@singingflutelady GP is a condition that a lot of people with EDS are susceptible to, and I'm being monitored for it (annual GI tests with eating the radioactive egg to time my stomach emptying). And Crohn's on top of that- you're a total warrior, seriously.

@Iamfocusingonme MFP works, you got this!
  • LernRach
    LernRach Posts: 286 Member
    I suffer from MCTD - a mixed connective tissue disorder in the family of lupus and RA. I go through phases. right now I am right up there with exercise; spinning, pump etc. However, there will be a day where I wake up and bang crash, I cnnot do anything... my fitness slowly goes into decline... until my health picks up again and I restart my journey. It is frustrating, but I know that this is how my body works. Once I understood this, it made it much easier for me to accept.