Confused

I was wondering if you eat back your exercise calories. If so, are you still loosing? I do not know if I should be eating them back. Any input is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• ktdiddy
    ktdiddy Posts: 43 Member
    I think it is important to try and eat them back. Sometimes this is hard,especially if you have created a lot of calories from exercise. I try eat back most of mine and I still lose weight. You have to remember that you are probably already eating to a deficit so not eating back any of your exercise calories can actually be quite dangerous - for example:
    1400cal food a day minus 600cal exercise means that your body is only living off 800cal, which is actually pretty damaging to your body. Don't forget you need food to fuel you so your organs - including your brain - can function properly!
  • My first attempt at MFP I tried the 1200 net calories per day and stalled out quickly. I'm doing 1700 net calories per day now and doing better.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Yep, you're still losing - this site's calorie limit has a built in deficit, so you're down the same amount of calories each day whether or not you exercise. My advice is: The more you exercise, the more you should consider eating those calories back. A walk isn't going to make a big difference, but a hardcore workout is going to deprive your body too much if you don't feed it more. Just think of it as a way to allow yourself to eat more without hitting maintenance or going over.