Can only buy 1 exercise machine for small home---need recommendations

Options
2»

Replies

• mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    If your budget is small, try checking out Craigslist for people getting rid of old machines, and ask around. I got my exercise bike for free from someone who was going to throw it out, and I got most of my free weights at garage sales.

This. Also join freecycle. You can even ask for whatever equipment you want and someone may give it to you, especially if you are willing to pick it up.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    After having used one for the first time today, I'd say an assault/air bike gives pretty good full body workout. I managed 100Cal in just over 10min

ETA also a good quality rower. Apart from running rowing is my go to cardio, very easy to vary the workout. I do tabata style sometimes, other times I do longer intervals. I use one to warm up or cool down. I use one in circuit style workouts with body weight exercises. Oh and sometimes I use one for steady state cardio if the weather is lousy and I can't do a long run
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    My math worked out thus: A "good" machine will cost several thousand dollars. Yes, you CAN buy a less expensive machine but less expensive usually means cheaper. When looking for a home elliptical a $950 machine was flimsy and unstable compared to the $3000. It was usable but I could easily see it being under used because of it's shortcomings in a short while. Near my home is a Retro Fitness for $21 per month. They have ALL the equipment I could possibly need, industrial grade machines and such. Even the $950 inferior machine would account for 3 years 9 months of membership. I opted for the gym. The quality of the machines, the variety of equipment and not having to dedicate a large area of my home made it worthwhile.

But you have to make your choice and live with it. You should be as happy with your choice as I am with mine.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    My math worked out thus: A "good" machine will cost several thousand dollars. Yes, you CAN buy a less expensive machine but less expensive usually means cheaper. When looking for a home elliptical a $950 machine was flimsy and unstable compared to the $3000. It was usable but I could easily see it being under used because of it's shortcomings in a short while. Near my home is a Retro Fitness for $21 per month. They have ALL the equipment I could possibly need, industrial grade machines and such. Even the $950 inferior machine would account for 3 years 9 months of membership. I opted for the gym. The quality of the machines, the variety of equipment and not having to dedicate a large area of my home made it worthwhile.

But you have to make your choice and live with it. You should be as happy with your choice as I am with mine.

While I don't disagree about joining a gym to try out what you like, there are several machines with no motors under $1000 that are incredible. All don't have motors. C2 Rower ($1000), SkiErg ($750 if you put it on the wall), BikeErg ($1000), Bike with a Trainer ($700ish with a used bike or even a cheaper new bike), Manual Treadmill ($500 will get you an amazing one), Rogue Echo Assault Bike ($750).

And all of these will resell very high.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options

While I don't disagree about joining a gym to try out what you like, there are several machines with no motors under $1000 that are incredible. All don't have motors. C2 Rower ($1000), SkiErg ($750 if you put it on the wall), BikeErg ($1000), Bike with a Trainer ($700ish with a used bike or even a cheaper new bike), Manual Treadmill ($500 will get you an amazing one), Rogue Echo Assault Bike ($750).

Still, that $1000 rower is three years of gym membership. It's our own choices, just offering an alternative to private ownership of a machine that may become a valet.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options

Still, that $1000 rower is three years of gym membership. It's our own choices, just offering an alternative to private ownership of a machine that may become a valet.

I get your point, but a C2 rower will resell for $700 after 3 years of use, maybe more. Same with the rest. So if you consider that, it's much cheaper than any gym except for (perhaps) Planet Fitness. I own an Assault Bike and a C2 rower. Planet Fitness's equipment is all inferior to either of those. I'm a member of LA Fitness. I work from home. I go to the gym once a week just to get out of the house and save my sanity. But from a workout perspective, I'm downgrading from my home equipment -- all under $1000 each.

Not to debate -- I get your point and it's valid -- it's just your assumption that all "good" equipment is around $3000 is incorrect. All good equipment with a motor is around $2000 plus. You just don't need a motor. You are the motor on my equipment. Motors break down. Unnecessary IMO.
  • brianlocal3
    brianlocal3 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I vote jump rope. I know it seems silly and simple but it’s amazing and will really work you
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    TRX straps. Take up no space and you can do thousands (literally) of exercises with them. Awesome strength training tool!
    PS You will benefit from taking a few classes to learn correct form & variations.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    TRX straps. Take up no space and you can do thousands (literally) of exercises with them. Awesome strength training tool!
    PS You will benefit from taking a few classes to learn correct form & variations.

That is my suggestion as well.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I like the mention of a yoga mat, and a high end yoga mat would still be cheaper than a machine.
    I have a treadmill, and though I do prefer to run or walk outside, my treadmill has seen a LOT of use over 15 or so years we’ve had it. It’s nice for winter time when short days prevent having enough daylight to get outside runs in around working, and also helpful on days when I can’t get away from the house for exercise. Treadmills are also a lot more versatile than most people realize as far as the types of things you can do on them.
    I think cardio machines in general might be helpful for people who don’t like exercise (but just do it because they feel they should) because if you put it in front of the TV, it’s easier to distract yourself and passes the time faster. What you decide to get really depends on you and what you like. If you hate it and wouldn’t use it, it’s useless.
  • lexusjade
    lexusjade Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You have a lot of good recommendations but ultimately it is better to spend $1K on equipment you will use than $500 on something you won't. I would first think about what you enjoy, what motivates you and what will help to build the discipline of consistent activity and work around that. I did at home fitness videos for years (even back whe n you redid the same video for months) and it was enjoyable to me then but I crave variety so my current equipment allows for that. As others said, exercise is for health and proper nutrition will help with weight loss.
  • medusascircle
    medusascircle Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have a bowflex max trainer which I love! It’s super challenging and takes up less space than a traditional elliptical. Look on Craigslist for a gently used one.

I also go to planet fitness for $10 a month.