Skinny Fat: Caloric Surplus OR Caloric Deficit?

New to bodybuilding & fitness goals .
I am text book definition “Skinny fat.” I have heard both approaches for “Skinny fat” body type & getting exhausted & overwhelmed with conflicting approaches .

I’m 5’4, about 110-113lbs & I’d guess about 20-25% body fat that’s on stomach & hips.. I’m scrawny everywhere else.. I found my maintenance calories . Should I go for slight surplus or start with maintenance or do slight deficit to burn the fat I got ? (Doing my maintenance is HUGE change for me . I went from eating just once or twice with junk food ) I’ve started to work out 3x/week focusing on compound movements with isolated too. Be kind! Appreciate any input .

Replies

• bindras9365
    bindras9365 Posts: 2 Member
    I should also clarify I’m a male. Trying to bulk up . Thank you.
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    Get strong
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    mmapags wrote: »
    a7faour wrote: »
    My friend, you need to gain good weight by increasing your protein and carb intake (don't go crazy with the carbs). Heavy Weight training plus calorie surplus would help shape your body and it will help with the definition. Also try having BCAAs during your training days. It will help isolate your muscles from burning and instead direct the body to burn fat for energy.

Hope that helps.

Good luck.

For me, your post is a mix of a little accurate and useful info and some not so accurate stuff. As long as one gets enough protein and a basic level of fats, there is no reason to monitor carb intake.

Also, almost all current research on BCAAs show that, beyond placebo effect, there are effectively useless as an incomplete protein. Just expensive water. they don't isolate your muscles from anything. They way to spare muscles is actually adequate carbs to fuel workout. Carbs are protein sparing.

Our bodies burn fat as our primary fuel substrate during rest or low intensity activities. As intensity increases, the amount of glycogen in the mix increases. It takes an either extremely low calorie intake or glycogen depletion for out bodies to turn to muscle as a fuel source once we have maximized lipolysis in a given time frame.

I'm not going to weigh in on the BCAA question, more so to just say at this point to just focus on the basics, getting enough calories first, lifting second, macro distribution third. Keep it simple in the beginning, a lot of progress can happen with that.