Quarter life wake up call!!!

Options
Hey all, my name is Cody. I'm new to the MFP app/community. I've always weighed more than my peers, but I've gone from a pudgy kid to being placed in the morbidly obese category on the BMI chart. The real wake up call was a recent visit to my pcp, after being in a car accident. I stepped on the scale only to see 279lbs. flash on the screen. I went through a flurry of emotions in mere seconds. I'll be 25 next month & I don't want to be 300lbs. by the time I'm 30 (or sooner). Realized I needed a serious lifestyle change, which brought me here. I'm just looking for support & maybe even a few friends to make sure I stay on the path/journey of weightloss & getting myself healthy & in shape.

Replies

• Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Welcome! Tracking food on here is a great first start.

I always call it an eye opening experience.

It's a fairly simple start! You can do it!! I always say, keep it simple and as stress free as possible, I like small changes and slow steps to start with.
  • CactiCody
    CactiCody Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much. Yeah, the food tracking was eye opening for sure. I knew there was a LOT of cals. carbs ect. In my dietary choices, but didn't really know just how MUCH! :o I'm definitely starting out slow like you said. There's a lot to learn still. Both here on MFP & in life.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the community! <3

If you haven't already, read the stickies at the top of the getting started forum. Very informative and helpful.

You're worth the effort.

Good luck with your journey!
  • CactiCody
    Options
    Thanks you! I'll make sure to take a look at it :)
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Cody! You're SO WISE to start young. You can turn this around, and it doesn't have to be fast or drastic (better that it's not!). Read the stickies and start with one change. Maybe weighing your food. I didn't even weigh out one portion sometimes. After realizing how much I had been eating, I gradually worked my way down. You have your whole life to do this, and it will take that long because losing the weight is only half the equation-keeping it off is the other. Lots of great people with information and support here! Good luck!
  • CactiCody
    Options
    Thank you so much for the kind, inspiring, & insightful reply <3 I did keto for a short time with my mom, which luckily set the stage for weighing & messuring everything. But sometimes my eyes are bigger than my stomach. I'll definitely be keeping my eye out for a digital scale though. I've been going through the stickies as well (another awesome person on here recommend I do that). I'm definitely trying to stay in the calorie deficit & have been doing great :# although I did have a setback or two. I'm not going to let that deter me from moving foward!