Waist-to-Height ratios / BMI + calculator

QuietBloom
QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
What do you guys and gals think of this calculator?

http://home.fuse.net/clymer/bmi/

I like it, because I can add my age and sex and thus perhaps get a better idea. It gave me a really low body fat though - 14.5% (female age 48). I'm not certain this is very accurate - I think I am higher, and have calculated as much higher with other calculators.

Replies

• jimshine
    jimshine Posts: 199 Member
    It wouldn't work for someone like me. I carry very little extra weight from the waist down.
  • AnneTanne0
    AnneTanne0 Posts: 71 Member
    I can't believe this to be acurate...
    I'm 51, and most bodyfat calculators gave me a fat% between 20-25%, my scale says 22%
    This calculater gives me a body fat % of 13.8 %.
  • doIlhands
    doIlhands Posts: 349 Member
    Nope. Not accurate for me either. It gave me a BF% of 28.6 when I know for a fact my BF is around 40%.
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Wow. Pretty impressed. Had my body fat at 59.9% which is pretty damn close. I'm 16.5-17% last time I checked on 8/9/13. BMI is 29.6 which I don't pay much attention to.
  • CantStopWontStop92
    CantStopWontStop92 Posts: 165 Member
    Apparently I'm 5% bf. *looks down at lack of rippling abdominals* hmmm I don't think that's accurate...
  • Kellllog
    Kellllog Posts: 81 Member
    Not accurate for me either; at 312lbs my scale says my body fat is 47%... This calculator suggests I'm at 19.1%....
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    It was pretty close for me. It had me at 18.6% BF and my scale this morning said 17.6%.
  • if you try to match yourself to a BMI calculator, and you lift any kind of weights....forget it. it doesn't take lean tissue in to account. a Dr. once told me the BMI was created as a way to describe a corpse! at 6'1" 213lbs, i'm damn near obese according to most of these things! they say i shopuld weigh about 175-185 haha
  • str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Pretty close for me too...
  • QuietBloom
    if you try to match yourself to a BMI calculator, and you lift any kind of weights....forget it. it doesn't take lean tissue in to account. a Dr. once told me the BMI was created as a way to describe a corpse! at 6'1" 213lbs, i'm damn near obese according to most of these things! they say i shopuld weigh about 175-185 haha

Yeah, too true. I was more interested in the waist to height ratio measurement. Thanks!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    It measured pretty correctly for me. The BF% matches my DEXA from several months ago and I don't think I've changed much since.

I know a lot of people tend to measure "waist" as the narrowest point so if you think it's measuring low be sure you are measuring just above your navel as the site suggests (which is often not the narrowest point).
  • uknowulykeit
    uknowulykeit Posts: 1 Member

I like it, because I can add my age and sex and thus perhaps get a better idea. It gave me a really low body fat though - 14.5% (female age 48). I'm not certain this is very accurate - I think I am higher, and have calculated as much higher with other calculators.

i dont know about it i had my BMI done about 2 weeks ago and it said i was at 33BMI and i just used it and it said i was 38BMI sooo.... im not to sure when i have my BMI done again i will do them at the same time to see how close they are to each other
  • QuietBloom
    Thanks everyone. By using online calculators I am 26, 23, 20 and 14.5%. :ohwell: Talk about confusing! I guess just find one method and stick to it to see the changes happening. It's frustrating though!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member

i dont know about it i had my BMI done about 2 weeks ago and it said i was at 33BMI and i just used it and it said i was 38BMI sooo.... im not to sure when i have my BMI done again i will do them at the same time to see how close they are to each other

Did you mean BF (body fat)? BMI is just a simple calculation. There are dozens of sites with BMI calculators online. You don't really need to go have it done.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    BMI and Waist to height ratio are fine. This is extremely inaccurate for body fat if you are a woman with an "hourglass" or "pear" shape- it gave me a number that is probably only half my actual body fat percentage. :laugh:
  • QuietBloom
    It measured pretty correctly for me. The BF% matches my DEXA from several months ago and I don't think I've changed much since.

I know a lot of people tend to measure "waist" as the narrowest point so if you think it's measuring low be sure you are measuring just above your navel as the site suggests (which is often not the narrowest point).

Hey, you are right, I was doing it wrong! When I measure an inch above the navel, it puts me at 21.5%. Which is right between the two that I got with US Navy calculator and one other military calculator (can't remember which). Thanx!
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    It gave me 14.5% BF too. It's fairly close, but I'm not that low .... more like 16%. I just have a small waist. It didn't ask me for any details about my booty.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member

Hey, you are right, I was doing it wrong! When I measure an inch above the navel, it puts me at 21.5%. Which is right between the two that I got with US Navy calculator and one other military calculator (can't remember which). Thanx!

Well measuring there bounced me from 14.5% to 17% - F that :)
  • DaniellaB1995
    DaniellaB1995 Posts: 64 Member
    Well i'm not good with the whole science/maths side of things but i'm pretty sure this calculator is wrong when it says I have -63.2% body fat!
  • QuietBloom

Well measuring there bounced me from 14.5% to 17% - F that :)

Haha!! Actually, I have been reading around, trying to figure out where to best place the measuring tape. According to several sites, for women it SHOULD be the narrowest part of the waist, anywhere between the hip bone and the sternum. For men it should be the belly button.

Ay carumba!
This discussion has been closed.