Weight-loss Success, Maintenance and LIFE!! From one who kn

Options
TamTastic
TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
Hi guys!

Some of you know me. Some of you don’t. I have been around here since early 2008. I have been more MIA than usual this past year due to life and a lot of changes for me. I just wanted to update a bit. I know my story can be helpful to others, especially those who have always battled their weight and who have a lot of weight to lose.

I was a normal child and didn’t have any weight issues until I hit puberty. My body changed. I have come to think that is when a lot of females especially start to have problems. How are you supposed to know as a pre-teen how to suddenly change everything you’ve been doing because your body is holding on to fat differently?? It’s creating boobs and hips…and those chips you could eat before are suddenly sticking to you like glue! That is when my battle began.

I yo-yo’ed though high school and my 20’s. I always had the willpower to get the weight off but it never stayed off because I wasn’t doing it the right way. I would starve myself or take diet pills. I was always looking for that quick fix.

Let me tell you. The quick fixes never work for the long run.

In September, 2007…I was the mother of a 9 month old, 270 pounds, could barely fit in an airplane seat, I was miserable, snoring, breathing heavy, no energy, uncomfortable in my own skin! I decided I had to do this once and for all. And I had to do it a different way. So, I educated myself.

Here is the thread I wrote about how I did it.
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/81336-the-keys-to-my-success?hl=the+keys+to+my+success

This September is four years since I began. It took me about 16 months to get 135 lbs off. I met my goal weight in January of 2009, the same week I found out I was pregnant with my second child. Talk about a test! But I kept myself healthy and active throughout that pregnancy. I often had people telling me I was the healthiest pregnant woman they’d seen, which was pretty sweet!!!!

I will be very honest here and the reason for that is because I know of you have issues you’re dealing with. I just wanted you to know, I get it! In June of last year (2009), I asked my husband for a divorce after years of emotional and verbal abuse. I was seven months pregnant at the time, my entire family is on the other side of the country, and I was working one day a week. I had been a mostly stay at home mom for three years.

Despite these issues and a really nasty year with my husband, I got through it. And I didn’t go back to my old habits, using food to comfort me. Now, I exercise to relieve tension and stress. I cook healthy foods and eat things that will keep me fueled to be able to function well throughout my long days working, being a single mother to an infant and a toddler, errands, court dates,…….and dinner dates and nights out too!! Haha!! :wink:

As of last week, July 14th, I am legally divorced. My boys are great and my little guy will be a year on September 4th. Despite the economy and not having much recent experience, I found work. I have my stresses and worries but I keep focused and keep my boys and myself healthy and as happy as possible. And I haven’t gone back to my old ways. It is in the back of my mind. I never assume I’m past it. I just know the way I did it gave me the knowledge and confidence I needed to keep going.

My boys deserve a mother who is healthy and energetic and happy. And I deserve to be all those things as well.

For what it’s worth!! :smile:

-Tam

Replies

• MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Fantastic story! So many people use hard times in their life as excuses, but I am in awe of how you kept going and have done what's best for YOU!.

Keep it up!

L
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    You are such a role model! Congratulations on overcoming and working through so many of life's stressful situations.

I'm at a point of starting to maintain too and I am really looking for advice from people who have done it successfully. See, I've been the size I am now before and gradually the pounds came back on. They didn't pile on quickly, but slowly over the course of 6-7 years, I had regained about 50% of what I had originally lost (give or take a bit of yo-yoing 10 lbs or so).

I know how to count calories and watch what I put in my mouth like a hawk to lose the weight, but I don't want to log every bite of food for the rest of my mouth. But somehow when I stop tracking, I start tricking myself into thinking that those calories somehow "don't count". I'm not looking for "tricks" per se, but do you have any pearls of wisdom?

Do you step on the scale every day? Every week? Measure yourself? I'd love to know more about how you stay consistent.
  • cbear1123
    cbear1123 Posts: 2
    Options
    Very impressive.. great job btw.. Very proud of any woman who will stand up for herself and take her life into her own hands, and get away from abusive people. You did a great job.. very inspirational. Thank you for sharing.
  • tiffanygil
    tiffanygil Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing. I'm at maintenance and I'm scared to death of gaining it all back, thank you for giving me hope =)
  • TamTastic
    Options
    You are such a role model! Congratulations on overcoming and working through so many of life's stressful situations.

I'm at a point of starting to maintain too and I am really looking for advice from people who have done it successfully. See, I've been the size I am now before and gradually the pounds came back on. They didn't pile on quickly, but slowly over the course of 6-7 years, I had regained about 50% of what I had originally lost (give or take a bit of yo-yoing 10 lbs or so).

I know how to count calories and watch what I put in my mouth like a hawk to lose the weight, but I don't want to log every bite of food for the rest of my mouth. But somehow when I stop tracking, I start tricking myself into thinking that those calories somehow "don't count". I'm not looking for "tricks" per se, but do you have any pearls of wisdom?

Do you step on the scale every day? Every week? Measure yourself? I'd love to know more about how you stay consistent.

I just do it. I think I was so careful for so long. I mean, I weighed my food (meat, etc)..measured every tablespoon of ketchup and salad dressing..that now I can eyeball it.

I don't really count anymore. I have weighed about four times this past year..since my son was born. I refuse to live by the scale because it just isn't accurate and it fluctuates so much during the course of the day. I don't need that stress!! haha! I go by clothes and how I feel. If certain jeans or pants start to feel too tight, I know I need to step it up and be a bit careful.

Also, I do my thing at the gym. I go about 3-4 days a week. It seems like if I do my hour on the elliptical at mach 10 at least 3 days week, eat healthy for the most part (the norm)...and splurge here and there...I remain consistent.

I actually thought I was getting too bony there for a bit and was trying to get some meat on my bones. Another reason I don't go by the scale. The number isn't what matters. I'm in a size 6 (and have been for months even with an infant)..and can buy clothes off the rack usually. That's th best "measurement" there is!! :)

Again, I think the confidence is what is different this time around. :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • vdpal
    vdpal Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Very amazing story! Thanks for sharing! Great job.
  • familygirl37167
    familygirl37167 Posts: 2,088 Member
    Options
    Tam you are amazing, you are one of them main reasons I am where I am today...Thursday will be a year since I hit goal weight..my goal weight is 150..this past friday I weighed in at 137...Tomorrow is my birthday...gonna enjoy that piece of cake..thirsday is a year at maintaince, or progressivally still losing lighty.. and this weekend we are going to vacation...then july 28th is my 9th anniversary...
  • erikazj
    erikazj Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Hey Tam, it's good to hear from you. I'm glad to hear that you are keeping on top of things and are finding you way through the bad times.

Take care,

Erika x
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Congrats on all of your success and triumph through hard times!

I'm going on to my 6th month of maintaining my goal weight and a tad below! I agree you just have to do it, & subconciously continue to be mindful of what you eat. It takes effort, but is well worth keeping the weight off! Here's to maintenance! :flowerforyou:
  • eriny
    eriny Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: to you my Dear !!! as you where my first role model to follow to know it could be done !! thanks to you and people like arewethereyet , kerelco (spelled that wrong ) soup nazi you all have been wonderful thank you from the bottom of my heart :heart:

it will be 3yrs jan 15 2011 for me 40+ lbs gone !!! :drinker

now playing with p90x as of 7-11-10 "give 110% or give it to some one that will "
  • Positively_Me
    Positively_Me Posts: 1,500 Member
    Options
    I will read later...Thanks Tami, love reading your posts.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I am so proud of you! 000204E4.gif

:blushing: oops wrong smiley.....or is it?? :wink:

I love you girl!! 0002037A.gif
  • maestrachistosa
    maestrachistosa Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Long time no see! I had taken some time off and noticed your absence by the time I got back on. I'm so sorry for all of the $&#! you've gone through, but so proud of how you have handled everything. And of course, so proud of your ability to maintain your healthy lifestyle despite everything that was going on. Congrats and hope to hear more from you!!
  • farmgirlh
    farmgirlh Posts: 240
    Options
    bump
  • MayLan
    MayLan Posts: 1,523 Member
    Options
    this is so awesome..want to read it later. You rock!
  • tech_sarah
    tech_sarah Posts: 91
    Options
    Great story! Sadly enough stress definately takes a stroll on every body differently! Congratulations to you for staying strong!
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    Tam,

You still amaze me!
  • studentRN
    studentRN Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Tams, I've said it before and will say it many times more... YOU are amazing! In every way! Your story is such an inspiration to many and you're such a strong and independent woman. So glad to know you!! :flowerforyou:
  • JeanneTops
    JeanneTops Posts: 2,618 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for coming back and letting us know that long-term success is possible! It's the greatest message you could give.

I'm still campaigning on MFP for a separate board to talk about Maintenance. Please take a moment and add your vote: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/103883-maintenance-board .
  • TamTastic
    Options
    I am so proud of you! 000204E4.gif

:blushing: oops wrong smiley.....or is it?? :wink:

I love you girl!! 0002037A.gif
    I know....I'm clumsy!! :glasses: :laugh:

Love you babe! Proud of you too!! :wink:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!