Calories in brown rice

Forgive me. But math has never been my strong point. I’m trying to figure out how to log half a cup of cooked brown jasmine rice. What are the correct number of calories and carbs? Thanks!

Replies

• gallicinvasion
    gallicinvasion Posts: 1,015 Member
    Does your food package have nutrition information for cooked rice, and reference the amount of cups? If so, search MFP for that brand (make sure it specifies Cooked, not Dry) and log a 1/2 cup of cooked rice.

If you don’t have a package with nutrition facts, I would just search the MFP database for the USDA entry for “Rice, Brown, Medium-Grain, Cooked” where a 1/2 cup of cooked brown rice is about 109 calories and 45 g of carbs.

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/20041

If you’re interested in tightening up your logging, next time, weigh your serving of rice (dry, before cooking) on a food scale so you can use the nutrition facts for uncooked rice (your measurement will be more accurate because there’s no variation in amount of water the rice absorbed). (If you’re cooking for multiple people,I might weigh out all the rice dry (4 servings for example), cook it, and take 1/4 of the finished rice for yourself.