Why Calories Count...

Options

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Great podcast, I'm about 15 minutes in and I'm already enjoying how she talked about food policy in government and wallstreet shaping how food companies market to us and how they compete with other food companies. The food portion part was also interesting. Even though I KNOW that portions are huge nowadays, it's so easy to not think about it and think I'm getting a bad deal if a sandwich or a treat isn't HUGE. Even if I know I am going to have half, I still want to purchase a whole because I want "my money's worth".
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    I love this quote from the interview...

“The entire purpose of advertising is to slip below the radar of critical thinking…”
    –Marion Nestle
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    I love this quote from the interview...

“The entire purpose of advertising is to slip below the radar of critical thinking…”
    –Marion Nestle

As someone with an advertising degree, I wholeheartedly degree. Advertising will not convince you to do something you don't want to do. Advertising takes something you want to do and convinces you that you NEED to do it. It taps into your base desires but keeps it rooted in your rational wants to make it seem like you're the one that made the decision. This is very important because most people are pretty contrary if they get told what to do, but if they're convinced that it was their idea, they'll happily ascribe to it. Good advertisers are really good at this.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Actually, the primary purpose of advertising is to inform consumers of products and services that will benefit them and how. But, so much money is spent by advertisers who are only trying to stimulate consumption of products and services that the consumers already know about and often have already selected that the real purpose gets lost in the blizzard of non "advertising" information streams. Getting you to go to the fridge and taking out a Bud Light is not "advertising."