Preworkout????

Options
Can someone give me some info about preworkout. Does it really help you do more and have more energy during workouts?

Replies

• stephsjourney2019
    stephsjourney2019 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 4 am every day so it definitely helps get me going to go and do my workout .
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Not necessary, but if you enjoy it and it fits into your calories it's not harmful either.

I've got a long hike this weekend and I'm going to drink all the coffee.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    It does nothing for me, other than make my stomach upset. And I'm up and at the gym by 4:00 a.m., too.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Coffee or tea are my pre workout. However, occaisionally I need an extra kick in the butt and will drink a Zevia Energy drink.
  • Butt_Snorkeler
    Butt_Snorkeler Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    My blood is made of coffee. I now only drink coffee for the tastes as it does nothing for me. Pre-workout though......depending on the brand and/or stack I take can have me wired and running PR on my way to work 😂
  • Jazz_Hands
    Jazz_Hands Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm very sensitive to caffeine so I use Bloom Supps. pre-workout, which allegedly has less caffeine than your typical pre-workout. I don't get jittery, and I can actually drink it in the evening without having difficulty sleeping, which is a HUGE plus.
    I've also used dotFIT's pre-workout which works well, but is VERY caffeinated, so isn't for me.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    The benefit is largely individual/subjective. Some people swear by them, some people see no impact at all.

Those who do see a benefit... most of that benefit is likely coming from the caffeine.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I took Pescience alphamine for the first time today because they sent me a sample with my protein powder. This was my first time taking any sort of pre-workout. Usually I don’t take anything; a few times I’ve drunk coffee. OMG. This pre-workout was amazing, and I have always sneered at pre-workouts as a gimmick and ploy by supplement makers to make more money. The key ingredient is caffeine, but this was such a different feeling than from coffee; no jitters, clarity, focus and much more energy. I was floored. Whatever they put in there as a “mood support agent” was also magic because I had a completely awful and stressful morning after barely sleeping (stress related) and this erased all that negativity. Still researching, but I am considering buying it.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    I tend to subscribe to the notion "If it works, it's probably illegal and unsafe and if it's legal and safe then it probably doesn't work"
  • HollyPFlax
    HollyPFlax Posts: 79 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Most pre-workout works for me because it contains a lot of caffeine. I personally prefer the taste of coffee, so I don't bother with pre-workout. That being said, if you don't have a caffeine sensitivity, you can always try it. I would suggest finding a free or cheap sample somewhere. Vitamin stores near me have them.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    laydee_ke wrote: »
    Can someone give me some info about preworkout. Does it really help you do more and have more energy during workouts?

Waste of money, just buy some caffeine pills and pop one before you workout it's $5 for 200 servings vs $50 for 30 servings. Most of the other stuff in them are super under dosed so although they are good for you.. it's at a dosage that will do nothing for you.

The $$ is better spent hiring someone to do your nutrition or programming for you.
  • TheChristianSimone
    TheChristianSimone Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    The last time I took one was when I was really trying to lose weight hard and reckless it's been some years and thankfully I was wiser, I worked out like I was on drugs and that racked up an extreme cal burn but then it took 2 hours for me to cool down like I had to strip out of everything weave included and hike the air to the max. I found out I was super sensitive to the amount of caffeine in C4 and that the heart palpitations aren't fun when you live alone.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I worry about the long term effects
  • Mikey129
    Mikey129 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It’s just caffeine.
  • chrishamilton894
    chrishamilton894 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Pre-workout is good stuff. However some are more potent than others. I tried one called C4 and it did the trick for me. There’s loads of brands out there. I’d suggest if you want to try a pre-workout, get yourself a single sachet first instead of buying a tub. If you train in the morning and take it that’s fine, however the rule is normally not to take a pre-workout 4 hours before you go to bed. Otherwise you won’t sleep very well.
  • MohsenSALAH
    MohsenSALAH Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Never tried it, simple carbs can boost ur energy before gym like dates or bananas or so
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    Options
    The last time I took one was when I was really trying to lose weight hard and reckless it's been some years and thankfully I was wiser, I worked out like I was on drugs and that racked up an extreme cal burn but then it took 2 hours for me to cool down like I had to strip out of everything weave included and hike the air to the max. I found out I was super sensitive to the amount of caffeine in C4 and that the heart palpitations aren't fun when you live alone.

This....yes I was there. (wearing a 2 week monitor bycardiologist right now. )
    I work in supplements as a career. We sell all the preworkouts. At 47 I will tell you tht the best pre workout for me is coffee. I may use citrulline, an amino acid that is a pre-curser to arginine and enables the body to build up NO2 (Oxygen utilization and enhanced vascularity). That being said, with pre workouts there are many different caviates and things to be aware of. Pre workouts often become a crutch for people. They get so used to them it is a challenge not to use them. On the other hand, some peopkle may find them useful for certain days to get the to thier next level if they are at a sticking point. Competators also may be using them pre show or event.
    I used to use so many different supplements and sports performance enhancers. The can cause damage both short and long term. My suggestion is (expecially someone who is long term health concious or a beginner) Find some other way to be energised. Then some days if you are that tired, it is necessary to have recovery time. If you trult want to use them, go to the closest Vitamin Shoppe or other reputable place and ask questions about pre workouts. BE honest and open and look for someoen who has experience and perhaps management.

Pre workouts are not bad for some people and some can be used wisely. It should come as an added part after a solid base is built. Hope this helps. :)
  • Rawrmachin3
    Rawrmachin3 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Most pre workouts are a waste. I take redcon1 total war as it’s clinically dosed with ingredients that are proven by many scientific studies.

Caffeine, beta alanine, citrilline, agmatine sulfate, and creatine are proven to be effective. Most pres either don’t have any of this stuff or have very little.

Be aware you will get the tingles from beta alanine if you’re not used to it.

For creatine I just buy bulk monohydrate from optimum nutrition.

Pre jym does well in dosing but it’s expensive. I got in on a special for my pre back when I got it for 10$ a tub so I bought a years supply.

I’m an advanced lifter so I use pre workout like a switch for me. When I take it I get in the zone. I also only drink water so it’s like a flavored treat for me. Calories are minimal if not non existent.

In the end it’s up to you. You can buy caffeine pills if you just need caffeine. If you can get agood clinically fixed pre for around a dollar a serving it’s worth it given most energy drinks you’d buy are around 2$ and way worse for you.

• getto80kg
    getto80kg Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Tbh unless you are a bodybuilder went so you need supplements or anything special, if it's a morning workout just have a light cereal, evening workout eat a couple of hours before again not too heavy. Make sure u have a little protein after your workout, eggs etc, not protein bars.