Non-alcoholic fatty liver

Does/has anyone taken supplements for liver health? I had an ultra sound done not that long ago that revealed I had a fatty liver. I've since then lost some weight and cut out A LOT of drinking and processed meats, went back for a follow up and still showing a fatty liver. (My Dr didn't seem to care about, just told me lose more weight, which seems to be their answer for everything I go to the Dr for 😒) I've been doing some research on few supplements and natural remedies but just wanted to read some real life reviews before I try/waist money on anything.

Replies

• Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    My husband isn't a drinker and he had a fatty liver. He reversed it with proper nutrition and exercise. He lost over 100lbs :)

I am not aware of any supplements.
  • Miss_Snow_White
    Miss_Snow_White Posts: 64 Member
    My husband isn't a drinker and he had a fatty liver. He reversed it with proper nutrition and exercise. He lost over 100lbs :)

I am not aware of any supplements.

Wow.. that's awesome!! I'm down about 35 lbs and would like to lose another 20-25 but I've hit kind of a stale mate due to stress and major life changes. Guess I'm just hoping to give my liver a little love and maybe it will help me back 🤣🤣
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    The studies on supplements are meager and mixed, at best.

What helps are weight loss, lots of fiber rich foods, low sugar and starches. Or, as someone above mentioned, the Mediterranean Diet.
  • Rachelmilloy
    Rachelmilloy Posts: 158 Member
    I too had an ultrasound that revealed I had a (non-alcoholic) fatty liver - that was a very long time ago. The treatment recommended to me back then was simply "lose weight" - I was obese. Eventually I lost weight, and was simply overweight,rather than obese. And finally, about 2 years ago, I reached my goal weight. Now that I'm slim, you would think fatty liver issues would be well behind me. However, last year my routine blood tests showed (abnormal) elevated liver enzymes... and apparently that's a sign of liver damage. Working on the theory that a fatty liver was causing the damage, the doctor recommended I eat a diet very low in saturated fat, sugar, [like the Mediterranean diet mentioned above] and even sugar substitutes. And that brought my liver enzymes back down to normal levels, yay!

But the thing about fatty liver disease that I really wanted to share is my theory on why it continued to plague me, even after I ceased to be overweight. I have concluded it is because I allow myself to go off the rails every few months, which means my weight quickly zooms to the top of my maintenance weight range, repeatedly; then I slowly work my way down to the bottom of my maintenance weight range, repeatedly. So the ideal behaviour I think would be for me to stick like glue to a very very narrow weight range... and stop with the rapid gains and losses even though we're only talking 10 lb changes!!

All the best Miss Snow!!
  • Miss_Snow_White
    Miss_Snow_White Posts: 64 Member
    I too had an ultrasound that revealed I had a (non-alcoholic) fatty liver - that was a very long time ago. The treatment recommended to me back then was simply "lose weight" - I was obese. Eventually I lost weight, and was simply overweight,rather than obese. And finally, about 2 years ago, I reached my goal weight. Now that I'm slim, you would think fatty liver issues would be well behind me. However, last year my routine blood tests showed (abnormal) elevated liver enzymes... and apparently that's a sign of liver damage. Working on the theory that a fatty liver was causing the damage, the doctor recommended I eat a diet very low in saturated fat, sugar, [like the Mediterranean diet mentioned above] and even sugar substitutes. And that brought my liver enzymes back down to normal levels, yay!

But the thing about fatty liver disease that I really wanted to share is my theory on why it continued to plague me, even after I ceased to be overweight. I have concluded it is because I allow myself to go off the rails every few months, which means my weight quickly zooms to the top of my maintenance weight range, repeatedly; then I slowly work my way down to the bottom of my maintenance weight range, repeatedly. So the ideal behaviour I think would be for me to stick like glue to a very very narrow weight range... and stop with the rapid gains and losses even though we're only talking 10 lb changes!!

All the best Miss Snow!!

I do the same thing with my weight. I let it spike ( what seems to be) over night then spend weeks/ months getting it back down. I'm still over weight but no longer obese. I have recently (2 weeks clean) quit energy drinks which I know.. are absolutely horrible. I am trying to follow a more organic low carb diet. Not exactly Mediterranean but not far off. So I guess I'll just keep chugging along and see where it takes me! Thank you!!
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Eat lots of green vegetables - even my protein shake has powdered greens in it. Also I take a milk thistle pill every day with my vitamins.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Milk thistle is supposed to be good for the liver. So is Desmodium, if you can get it. I take/have taken both. Can't say whether or not they actually work as I haven't had cause to have my bloods checked, but I used to drink really quite heavily and figured my liver could use any help I could give it.
  • pamlorbieski
    pamlorbieski Posts: 187 Member
    I can tell you what worked from *my* experience. I was also diagnosed with fatty liver disease and my enzymes were "off" according to my lab results. I started taking a milk thistle supplement along with my daily vitamin. In 6 months my lab work had improved greatly and at my next annual checkup my lab work was perfect and US was normal. I didnt really make any major diet changes at that time although I did lose about 20 pounds.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    My wife's doctor told her to take milk thistle. She was also given a list of things to try and avoid or use sparingly (like OTC pain meds). In addition she started losing weight.

I cannot be sure if the milk thistle helped her that much or if it was chiefly weight loss and the things she was to avoid. For obvious reasons I don't really care what did what just that her numbers were better in 6 months and normal in 12.

I would not take any supplement without consulting your doctor first.
  • AshyAshy10
    AshyAshy10 Posts: 5 Member
    Milk thistle
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    I go to examine.com to check out supplements before deciding on them.